PDA

View Full Version : outdrive oil leak

vanstee
05-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Got my Ragazza out of storage for the winter and noticed a small (about 2" dia.) spot of oil under the outdrive. Brought it home and had it parked in the drive while i replaced the starter for about 2 weeks. There is another spot under the outdrive. Upon further investigation it is coming from a small hole directly toward the bow from the water intake on the lower part of the outdrive. Should I be concerned? There is another hole just like it lower and no oil is coming out of that nor on the other side. The outdrive and engine is a 3.0L OMC Cobra.

Thanks!

MOP
05-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Is the oil clean or does it look dirty and burnt? Many times if it was fogged out heavily that will drool out over time, if it is sort of honey colored and clean looking it is probably drive oil. If it looks like drive oil the best thing to do is to have it Vacuum & Pressure checked. The shop can figure out where it is coming from and change the seal that is bad.

Phil

vanstee
05-06-2004, 07:26 PM
last year we had the lower outdrive redone. Oil is kind of a blueish color. Doesn't smell burnt.

MOP
05-06-2004, 08:09 PM
OK why not loosen the drain screw just enough to get a little dribble out to see if the color matches, bluish is not a color I am familiar with but who knows Who's gear lube your shop is using.

Phil

vanstee
05-06-2004, 09:20 PM
color matches. What are the small holes in the side of the casing for? overflow?

MOP
05-06-2004, 10:17 PM
color matches. What are the small holes in the side of the casing for? overflow?

Nope sealed unit I think you have a leak, without seeing it I suspect the gasket between the upper and lower a very rare thing. The little hole you speak of should be a water cavity drain, no oil should be coming out of it.

MOP
05-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Is the hole above or below the seam where the cases split, if above it could be the shift converter leaking.

farmer tx
05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
I had the same thing on my alpha last season. The shift shaft seal between the upper and lower case was leaking.

Good luck,
Mark

vanstee
05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
That an expensive fix?

MOP
05-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Nothing is cheap MARINE, you need to have it P&V checked to have a clue as to cost, reseal job should not be to bad especialy since they did the drive last year. Look over your last years bill to see what seals they show as being changed, that stuff in that section usually goes for quite awhile before leaking. That is a bottom shifter actually a couple of less places to leak than a King.

vanstee
05-08-2004, 04:58 PM
going to the boat doctor on monday.