PDA

View Full Version : Need room for stereo. Any ideas?

txtaz
05-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey folks,
Anyone have ideas on where to cram a 1000 watt amp and a 100 watt powered sub-woofer in an 18 classic? I've looked under the deck and there seems to be some space before hitting the main deck with screws, but I'm a little nervous about having the weight hanging. The engine compartment has the most room and can mount them vertically with heavy screws but not sure about the heat from the motor.
Please any ideas are welcome before drilling into the boat.
Thank you,
Wes

RedDog
05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Anwser to your questions - no, don't know.

Question for you - why?

Scott Heidt
05-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Hey folks,
Anyone have ideas on where to cram a 1000 watt amp and a 100 watt powered sub-woofer in an 18 classic? I've looked under the deck and there seems to be some space before hitting the main deck with screws, but I'm a little nervous about having the weight hanging. The engine compartment has the most room and can mount them vertically with heavy screws but not sure about the heat from the motor.
Please any ideas are welcome before drilling into the boat.
Thank you,
Wes

Hey I just got done with my stereo project. I will send pictures in the next couple of days. It might give you some ideas. I have an 81 Hornet II, so it would be a tad different.

My amps,sub, Monster Caps are mounted up front. I am running (4) 8" Bazooka Marine Coaxials along the rear bench seat, (2) 6 1/2" MB Quartz Marine Coaxials, 10" Marine Sub, Alpine XM DECK, Bazooka Marine Amp, Kicker Mono Block for the Sub, and Monster Cap. Good luck with your project!

EricG
05-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I don't know if this helps...but this is where my powered Sub lives. Krakmeup put it in the boat before I bought it, but I can get the model number off of it if you would like...it's fits in the ski-tunnel perfectly!

Also, my speakers are hanging from the deck just in front of the dash....they seem plenty sturdy!

-EG
"I haven't even turned the stereo on yet... :rolleyes: "

farmer tx
05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Here is an old thread.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25250
Mark

Lenny
05-05-2004, 10:19 PM
ah, Eric, what is going one up there? You're scaring me. It looks like a scene from Star Trek with Will Shatner? Are those "Hordas" or "Tribbles" or, is that foam? :eek!: :D

Scott Heidt
05-05-2004, 10:41 PM
ah, Eric, what is going one up there? You're scaring me. It looks like a scene from Star Trek with Will Shatner? Are those "Hordas" or "Tribbles" or, is that foam? :eek!: :D

Your Cracking me up! LOL I was wondering the same thing!

Ranman
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Wes,

Here's how my 18 Classic is done with hi res pics. Alpine deck, (1) 4 Channel Rockford amp, (1) 2 Channel Rockford amp (bridged mono), (4) Alpine Marine speakers and 1 10" Bazooka Tube. This sytem sounds very good. Head decks, speakers and amps, don't really matter so long as you buy quality stuff. You may want to consider marine speakers for the cockpit as they get wet from time to time. I'm not a big Rockford or Alpine guy, but that stuff was in the boat when I bougght it. I ditched the crap subwoofer that came with the boat and installed the Bazooka by strapping it around the ski locker. It sounds killer firing forward (I tried both ways).

For amp mounting, the boat came with the Rockfords mounted upside down, screwed to the underside of the deck. This is the easiest, and dry'est place to mount them. IMO, there's too much possibility for water, along with heat in the engine room (otherwise the firewall would be a great location).

Anyway, I initially had problems with the amps falling down pulling the screws out (I drive hard). I remedied this by moving up to a #12 (I think) pan head sheet metal screw (zoom in on pic to see mounting screws). You have to measure them right or you'll poke through the deck topside. I don't think you want more than 3/8 total penetration. 1/2" is pushing it but may be possible. Pull out one of the existing screws under there to see how much penetration you can safely go. My amps were initially held in with #8 or #10 screws and simply did not have the holding power in heavy seas. Go with as big a screw as you can pass through the mounting holes on the amp (enlarge them if you can). Use at least a #12 or better yet #14 (1/4") sheet metal screw (stainless of course). When remounting, I added a dab of 3M 5200 to each "foot" at the corners. 5200 is tough chit. I only used a dab to help hold the corners. I can still get the amps down if necessary, but they are now held up there GOOD. Also, since the deck is curved (convex looking up from under), you have to play with amp location to make sure all four corners touch evenly. LAstly, don't forget to drill pilot holes just slightly under the screw body size before mounting. Good luck and show us the finished product.

EricG
05-05-2004, 11:01 PM

Hey...don't be making fun of my "moonscape" bow area. I sometimes like to put the ol' mining light on and go exploring up there. I think I need to carve some stalagmites and stalagtites up there?

I assumed that's just the bonus I got for buying a 70's boat. Doesn't yours have that stuff too, Len?

Ranman, very nice installation.... :biggrin:

Lenny
05-05-2004, 11:39 PM
no Eric, I have never seen that in any pics prior to yours. I am not actually on the "inside" of these things much as I live in the "Land of None"...Don't get me wrong, you bought a gorgeous piece of machinery, I am just bugging ya !!! :D

...but no, I have NEVER seen that before...look at the bright side, when we both do endo's in Puget Sound or stuff in a close freighter wake, I can swim over to you cuz mine wont be on the horizon anymore... :D ...unless my tank is empty and the batteries are dry...

How's Kathy ?

EricG
05-06-2004, 01:28 AM
no Eric, I have never seen that in any pics prior to yours. I am not actually on the "inside" of these things much as I live in the "Land of None"...Don't get me wrong, you bought a gorgeous piece of machinery, I am just bugging ya !!! :D

...but no, I have NEVER seen that before...look at the bright side, when we both do endo's in Puget Sound or stuff in a close freighter wake, I can swim over to you cuz mine wont be on the horizon anymore... :D ...unless my tank is empty and the batteries are dry...

How's Kathy ?

Kath's good...her quote when she first looked at the new boat "What's all that orange crap up in the bow?" :hyper:

With all the exhaust holes that you're having to patch, I figure you could use some floatation in there somewhere :wink: Hopefully you can get that thing over to Chelan....I really want to see it.

Now, back to stereos....I do know that MXRoadster has a hell of a stereo in the Brown Hornet...hopefully he can add his input into this thread....

-EG
"My boat is Foamier than yours..."

txtaz
05-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks everyone,
That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going with the under bow installation with #12 pan head screws. I ground in 4 extra mounting holes for each component. Plus it's close to the fuse block, ground terminal and speakers. I know if Randy runs his boat hard and has 2 Rockfords mounted there, I should be pretty safe. LOL
The equipment I bought for the boat is:
JBL marine AM/FM/CD head unit
Pyle 4 channel 1000 watt amp
Clarion 100 watt powered sub
4 Sony 6.5 coaxial speakers

When the sun comes up I will get to work. I'll post some pics when done.
Thanks again,
Wes

txtaz
05-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Farmer TX, I just looked at the thread you sent. VERY nice install on your boat. Hopefully we can meet up sometime.
Thanks again,
Wes

Lenny
05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Eric, when I bought a V-8 DONZI I thought it meant that the boat was a "V" and there should be about 8 holes in the transom area for exhaust. I didn't know any better.. :D