PDA

View Full Version : 1990 16 classic

briley
05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Is there anything that I should be wary of with this model year. It has low hours and sports the 4.3ltr V6 and OMC outdrive. I am familiar with the boat as a whole, but would appreciate any info that might be a surprize with that model year 16
Thanks, Bill Riley

FUELPOWERED
05-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Make sure the boat was not used in saltwater too much if possible. Also check bottom rear for a hook if boat is not sitting properly on a trailer.

Formula Jr
05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
As you know, OMC is no more. You would be buying an orphaned I/O and controls. I would hammer the seller with this to drive the price down. And drive it down radically. Other than that '90 was a good year for the glass work. The generally understood years that can have problems (for all boats and makers) is the '84 to '88 years. There was a huge demand for boats during this period and everyone responded by cranking them out as fast as they could.

Rootsy
05-05-2004, 04:02 PM
and ummm ALL 16's have a HOOK from the outer strake to the chine... this is put into the hull IN THE MOLD...

You can still get parts for the OMC's... aftermarket, etc... no worries... the drives are strong and have good longevity... the only downfall of the whole motor is if it uses the spitfire ignition... which is distributorless.. if she goes bad it is kinda pricy to replace... and generally you end up putting a distributor in instead of replacing... but overall they are pretty reliable and you shouldn't be worried...

i'd just have the boat gone over by a surveyor prior to purchase.. make sure it is all on the up and up and solid mechanically and structurally... have the motor checked, leak down, comp check, oil analysis (YES MOP)... etc etc etc...