PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Locker

Jim
05-05-2004, 08:20 AM
I recently purchased a 26ZX and I was wondering how the other board members secure their anchor's in the lockers.
I can't believe they don't have any type of hardware within the locker to help secure it down, do people just throw their anchor's in there and let them bounce around?

Thanks Jim

Mr X
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
I would guess that the reason is, the factory has no way of knowing what anchor the boat owner would purchase.

Why dont you buy a kit for YOUR anchor that will secure it in place. Its not that hard to install.

They must be available at "West Marine" or on line.

Jim
05-05-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm sure I can find something but I'm currently having an issue with the Anchor Locker leaking water into the cabin, its either coming from one of the screws that pertrude into the locker
area from the cabin or a small hair line crack I found by the drain hole. So to make a long story short I would have to make sure the screws were sealed well and I'm wondering if thats why Donzi didn't install anything at the factory. Plus the anchor can't really sit flat so I'm not sure how well a mount would really work versus some eyelets with some of those rubber bungee cords. Just curious on what other guys have used.
Thanks

mjpcowboy
05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I use pieces from a foam water tube float and place it over the ends for padding. Seems to work fine.

undertaker
05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
I have the same problem, my anchor just sits in there on top of my anchor line I thought about padding the anchor locker with some sort of material but I have not found anything I like as of yet. IMO there really is no way to secure the anchor in the locker its not a very good design.

As far as your water in the cabin in the bottom of the anchor locker there is a screw off plate to access the bow eye and in my boat the front cabin speakers are accessiable there to. I had a problem with that screw off plate breaking and cracking because of the anchor bouncing in the locker and water was going in this access hole which in turn could go into your cabin if you have a flaw somewhere in the access hole, dont know if this is your problem but a thought I had, I had no water in my cabin but a lot of water in the hole instead of going out the drain hole in the locker. Good luck :)

olemissalum
05-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Jim. funny you mention the water in the cabin. Are you talking about the front locker under the front cushion. I have the same problem and just discovered it. It was full of water and was disgusting. Ruined a first aid kit, flare kit and several life vests. Have not had time to discover where the anchor locker is leaking into the front locker but must find it. Let me know if you find it before me.

Jim D

Jim
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Jim,
I purhcased some Marine Silcone to seal the screw and plan on grinding the paint off and refiberglassing the hair line crack using a 4" wide by 3" long fiberglass weave. I was really going to go gone ho and fiberglass the whole corner which would of been probably 20" long, that way I could of built up the corner so the water would flow right out the drain hole.
I might still do this once I take care of the leak, I just hope its not going to be too much of a bitch to get all the paint out of the 90 degree corner and I also hope its Paint and not Gelcoat in the compartment. I think a wire brush wheel should get the spots the grinder misses.

One last thing, yes the front compartment in the cabin was full of water and the carpet in the cabin was soaked as well.
Not sure if it just sloshed out of the campartment or not but I
want it get it taken care of since I want to put her in a slip.

I plan on doing it this weekend, I hope I don't have to take the front Mirror Cushion off and try to get at it from that side.

If anyone was wondering its a Southco Flush Latch that is on the Anchor Locker Hatch.

Jim

olemissalum
05-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks Jim, I will probably just use 5200 to seal the crack as when the anchor and rope are in there it will be hidden. Mine never got into the carpet, just stayed in the front hatch for the last 6 months :eek: :eek: I knew it was smelling funny but jsut figured it was from being under the cover all the time.

olemissalum
05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Also, where can you order that anchor hatch latch as I need one. Thanks again

Jim
05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Jim,
Here is the link, I bought it from Cabela's. I'm trying to locate new lights for the cabin ceiling, you don't happen to know the make of those do you? I found some LED's ones that should work but wouldn't mind finding the originals. They used aluminum rivets on the copper contacts in the old lights and
they have a little bit of oxidation on them that causes them to shut off with the slightest bump.

They offer them with locks as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0002186013965a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0002186&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&cmCat=search&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F00%2F21%2F8 6%2Fp002186ii02.jpg&hasJS=true

olemissalum
05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Not sure about the lights but thanks for the link. Just ordered the latch :hyper:

Last Tango
05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Okay, here is an out-of-the-box response to the leaks. On my Z3250 I also had trouble with water leaking into the front compartment and then onto the A/C compartment, and thence out the A/C front cover, and all over my carpets. I too, ran the anchor locker scenario, but came up empty. I tried filling the anchor locker with water, to see where it was coming in. Actually, filling the anchor locker and clearing the drain hole had nothing to do with it. What was happening was that the filler hose for the water storage tank was pinched between the outer hull and the inner liner, had chafed due to movement between those two shells in rough water conditions, and was leaking water whenever I filled the tank or ran in very rough water that sloshed high enough to hit the chafe and run out. And it wasn't just a SMALL amount of water either.
We cut a hole in the inner liner, replaced the water line, and ta-daaa! No more water running everywhere. It was hard to diagnose because it LOOKED like water from the anchor locker, but really wasn't. And you can't see the entire hose when filling.
Who knows?...

Jim
05-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Well it looks like the water leaking onto the carpet is coming from the bilge cavity that is just in front of the gas tank.
My second bilge pump is not working and when I saw the water right by the steps I decied to pull the deck plate they have on the first step of the stairs and sure enough there was like 2 to 3 inches of water in there. I think the front two drains in the cockpit area drain into that cavity so I guess with all the heavy rain we had it slowly accumulated water.

Mark,
I don't have a fresh water holding tank but I did wonder
if the water was coming from the drain hole. It looks like its just a hole they drilled through the bottom/side of the anchor locker and through the hull, they didn't line it with any type of hose. If what I'm doing doesn't fix it I then I figured I would pull the front cabin cushion off and see if I could detect where it was coming from. I'm not even sure if I will be able to see anything since I'm pretty sure that back wall of the anchor goes all the way down to the hull.

It would be a real bitch to try to run a a hose and then try to seal the top of the hose so no water got between the hose and drain hole wall's. I guess I could also try to just seal the wall's of the drain hole but I really don't think thats it.

I'm going to try to fiberglass it tonight and seal that screw, will keep you updated.