PDA

View Full Version : Hydromotive Poll

Sam
05-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure how to set up a real poll so this will have to do. I was wondering how many of you were running Hydromotive props as your main everyday propeller.

THX
Sam

Ranman
05-04-2004, 02:21 PM
I will be running a QIV as my everyday / roughwater prop. A Mirage+ will always be on hand in case I need those last 2 MPH.

Rootsy
05-05-2004, 07:14 AM
i'll figure it out one of these days... :rolleyes:

Forrest
05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I thought the QSS has a different blade design - more like the original Quicksilver aluminum sterndrive props - than the Mirage or Mirage Plus.

blackhawk
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
The Quicksilver Thunderbolt is supposed to be the same prop as a Mirage+, Lightspeed the same as Laser II and Silverado the same as Vengeance. I think they have some others out there as well.

Barry Eller
07-31-2009, 05:42 PM
I have a Hydromotive 23" Q-IV; 25" Ballistic; 25" Turbo

The Q-IV is not fast up top, but the hole shot with it and the King Cobra/502 is AWESOME!!!

Running the rough waters of Pensacola Bay and Santa Rosa Sound it keeps the bow down without a lot of tab imput. Read STERN LIFT.

BigGrizzly
07-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I have my preference, I ended up with the TXP, but have to start all over again with the new deive or I won't be doing my job.

roadtrip se
08-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I've picked up a worked P5 30 and an H6 29.

Looking for a nice Q4 32, or even a 31, if anyone spots a nice one let me know.

I am going to try some other things, but I obviously like the stuff...

JustMercMe
08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Running a 27 Mirage + right now....Tried a Bravo 1 28 and lost about 4 mph on top at the same rpm. Any suggestions?

Carl C
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Sooo......What are all these "others"?

blackhawk
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Running a 27 Mirage + right now....Tried a Bravo 1 28 and lost about 4 mph on top at the same rpm. Any suggestions?

Yeah, run the Mirage+. :)

Actually it's a little odd that you lost the mph at the same rpm. If you really want to run the Bravo send it out to BBlades and tell him what you want. I ran one of his 28 Bravos that was labbed and tweaked for more bow lift and it was night and day compared to a stock 26. The stocker needed a TON of trim and still didn't carry the bow well. The BBlades prop carried the bow much better and had a fat "sweet spot".

I ran it back to back with a Mirage 25 and a Mirage+ 27 and they were all within .2 mph of each other. Obviously at different rpms.

BigGrizzly
08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Merc, I will be at Eufaula with some props. We usually can solve most issues. I will have a bunch of TXPs for trial if you like. A couple of weeks it will be worth the wait. Just keep trying other stuff and rechord the data this way you can get the best for you.

JustMercMe
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I bought the 28 used and I think it may have been a bass boat prop in its former life....Dunno if it has been worked or not. I've been using Performance Propeller in Soddy Daisy, TN for the majority of my props on my outboard tunnel boat and thought about sending both to them to see what they could do. I have heard a lot of people saying to send them to BBlades though. This is my first stern drive so I'm new to this big block ballgame!

Grizz, would love to try a couple at Eufaula if you have some with ya, Been looking forward to that trip since last year.....

BigGrizzly
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Merc we are ready. No issue with trying from me, it will be fun.

blackhawk
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
This thread got me thinking of all the props I tried on my boat.

Mirage+ 25
Mirage 25
Mirage+ 27 labbed
Bravo 26
Bravo 28 labbed
Turbo 1 25
Turbo Lightning 27
Rev 4 25
Hydro Q-IV 25

I'm sure I forgot at least one! LOL

SilverBack
08-07-2009, 04:48 AM
I've picked up a worked P5 30 and an H6 29.

Looking for a nice Q4 32, or even a 31, if anyone spots a nice one let me know.

I am going to try some other things, but I obviously like the stuff...

I picked up a P-5 Hydromotive and it has some interesting traits on my setup. It is a 26 pitch prop and my main prop is a 35 pitch Maximus. They have both been lab finished. I thought that the P-5 would get all over the rev limiter but it really holds the engine almost as good as the Maximus. I lost 20 MPH with the P-5 versus the Maximus but it accelerates like a bullet with it and it gets on plane in less than 3 seconds without hammering on it. They are total opposites but I love them both. The Maximus has been cut down to 15 1/8" diameter and the P-5 looks to be stock diameter. The engine revs much much more quickly from 3500 to 5000 with the P-5 but then really falls off from there. The Maximus seems like it just keeps wanting to pull...I have not gone fast enough for it to stop gaining speed yet. They are very different but both very good props. I think for everyday use with the family I may stay with the P-5. BTW....the P-5 does not hold the bow anywhere near as good as the Maximus. I think that is why it hits the plateau on top speed like it is hitting a wall. Also..no rooster at all with the P-5. BIG rooster with the Maximus.

I have tried several other props..TXP..Bravo1...Mirage+...and a few others and on my application non of these others even came close to these two props. Except for the Bravo one you couldn't make a turn at slower speeds without cavitation and blowing out the prop and having to come off plane to get the thing going again. They were really unusable on my boat. The Bravo would not plane out or cruise or carry the bow nearly as good as the P-5 or Maximus. I did have an 29P H-6 that performed well but acted more like a blend between the Maximus and the P-5 but it picked the whole boat up more. Stern and Bow. It would hit the rev limiter if I wanted at any time but started acting like it wanted to pick the boat up out of the water at around 90 and you really had to drive over 85.

BigGrizzly
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Not to debate this Keith but you mentioned that you have a TXP , how big ? I do know that the TXP would not be good for your application because it will litterally lift the boat off the pad. I did the original testing on the P5 and the P5X. Both were 15 inch and 15 1/8 respectively. In your application the P5X would be the better choice.

SilverBack
08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Grizz..the P-5 is 15 1/2 inches in diameter. It is the largest prop that I have ever had on my boat. Anything larger in diameter would not even fit on the boat. I am sure that the P-5X would be better but that is not what RTSE had to trade.:wink:

The TXP's that I tried were a 28 and a 30 pitch if memory serves me correctly. It was not that they were lifting the boat too much it was that with my prop height the prop would just cavitate too bad. Even at lower speeds. BTW..I tried an OXP turbo prop also!!:wink:

BigGrizzly
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
AQcctually the 30 was mine and was the only one made. According to you Mark trien it . Tex ran 93+ with it and me maybe Ill tell later. If you really measure the P5 and P5x you will find it is actually 15 1/8. I know the foundey owner personally. and your righ the 2 inch shorty can only turn 15 5/8, this is what you told me when I shipped the 5 blade to you which is a true 15 1/2. Just curious. Trip was the second person to try the TXP when it made its first public debut.

ACE51
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure how to set up a real poll so this will have to do. I was wondering how many of you were running Hydromotive props as your main everyday propeller.

THX
Sam

Sam, I was wondering which hydromotive prop you were running with the SS drive or which prop you had the best luck with. I just got an SS drive and I'm trying to figure out which prop to turn with it. I heard that the hydromotives were really good on the 16 and 18 I beleive the QV O/T. I think you have a pretty high HP engine, but I was wondering if you would have any recomendations based on your experience. I'm stock 5.0 which is 260 hp.

Pat McPherson
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
I run a stock 25p Mirage; the prop that came with the boat from Donzi. My boat tops out at 70-71 @ 4800rpm.
I've tested a 25p Turbo 1 and a 25p Rev 4. The Turbo 1 was vary similar to the Mirage and is a good alternative to the much more expensive Merc 3 blade. The Rev 4 is better in every way than the 3 blades and top speed is within 1mph. If they did cost nearly $600, I'd be running one. Need to try a Turbo 4 blade at some point; anyone running one?

Conquistador_del_mar
07-18-2013, 12:21 PM
I run a stock 25p Mirage; the prop that came with the boat from Donzi. My boat tops out at 70-71 @ 4800rpm.
I've tested a 25p Turbo 1 and a 25p Rev 4. The Turbo 1 was vary similar to the Mirage and is a good alternative to the much more expensive Merc 3 blade. The Rev 4 is better in every way than the 3 blades and top speed is within 1mph. If they did cost nearly $600, I'd be running one. Need to try a Turbo 4 blade at some point; anyone running one?

Pat,
Although you bring up an old thread, I am glad to hear how much you liked the Revolution 4. I have been hoping to hear more Donzi owners trying them and getting the results. The Revolution 4 prop on my 25' Martini ran perfect in every catagory so I figured they might work well on other deep V hulls like the Donzis.

Greg Guimond
07-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Need to try a Turbo 4 blade at some point; anyone running one?

Pat, I run a Turbo Fusion 4 as my all around prop and find it to be excellent. I have also run a Rev4 and liked it. The Fusion 4's handling is what sold me without giving up much in speed on my 16. The Fusion 4 is also one very well built piece, at least when Precision Propeller was all in house. I doubt anything has changed now that Yamaha owns them as I think they leave them alone. Hope this helps.

SanDogDewey
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Hmmm, must be new school props. Don't see a Solas or Bronson-Hill. lol