PDA

View Full Version : Registration Numbers

TBroccoli
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Has anyone used black registration numbers on a red hull? If so, have they caught flack for it? The only thing my registration display instructions states is that the numbers have to be a contrasting color to the hull. The Delaware registration sticker is red with black lettering. My Donzi red is slightly darker. Can I use black???

Tom

ChromeGorilla
05-03-2004, 03:13 PM
That color combination doesn't sound very contrasting . You may catch flak with black letters on a red hull. Unless the black letters had a white or silver outline....just a thought.

Rodger
05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
It's difficult to determine how much contrast is necessary. I have medium to light blue letters on a dark blue background. It's not a very good contrast, but it's been that way for sixteen years with no hassles from the authorities.

Ranman
05-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Make 'em the way you want it. If you get busted, make em they way they want it. I doubt it's a big ticket regardless and I highly doubt they woud pull you from the water for it.

My reg numbers are so far up on the "flare" of the 18's hull they pretty much face the water and are unreadable. That's not by accident.

Brad Lyon
05-03-2004, 04:18 PM
I have white letters and my boat has bright yellow painted sides. I have not had any problems, yet.

Brad

Forrest
05-03-2004, 04:49 PM
My guess is that they would want white numbers on a red background.

1996Z15
05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
My Minx is red and honey; my registration numbers are beige (honey) in color. No one has ever bothered me about them.

Bad-Tat
05-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I have teal numbers on my red 16'. No problems.

McGary911
05-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I guess it all depends on the local law in your area. If they decide they want to hassle you, this would give them a reason (whether it's a good reason or not...). My hull is cream colored so i have red letters, which is a pretty good contrast. I think black on red should be adequate. I try to not give a reason to pull me over, but if the cops in your area want to pull you over, it probably won't matter if you have neon letters, they'll find a reason.

Do what looks nice on your boat.

Oh, and in NJ, they want a space between the NJ and the numbers of your reg #. Theyll pull you over if you are missing the space. Dont ask how i know this tid bit.....:rolleyes:

MOP
05-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Whatcha digging in your pocket for? Hmmmmmmmmm! LOL

Sam
05-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Contrast; To show difference when compared !

Don't sweat it, the last time I looked red and back were different.

Sam :biggrin.:

Dr. Dan
05-03-2004, 08:18 PM
:shades: Mine are Teal and black outlined, they are slightly slanted to imply a hand written look, never had an issue against the white hull....they are very visible...but look good..

:cool!: Doc

MOP
05-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Matching Red letters with the chrome border, l have seen that it is pretty cool looking.

Phil

mattyboy
05-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Mine are white on red I don't get flak for that I get flak cause they can't be seen at the dock and they end with FU :tongue:

Matty

BabyDonzi
05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Black numbers on red stripe. Only been stopped once because of it, "I couldn't see your numbers" your OK.
He couldn't see my beer either.....................

Marlin275
05-04-2004, 03:37 PM
If those numbers are hard to read
the Law will be ON your boat.
They read your numbers first