PDA

View Full Version : Corsican progress

mphatc
05-02-2004, 08:03 PM
After lots of delays required by my business I finally got back to reality :smile: this past weekend and finished up the glass work inside my hull to fit the new fuel tank, replace the transom wood for the Bravo and make a few small repairs.

This week I'll build the new 302 . . . and paint the inside of the hull, next w/e the tank gets installed!

I've attached some pictures of work to date . . and in the next post some of the new tank.

Mario L.

aiming for Memorial Day launching!

gcarter
05-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Looking good Mario! :biggrin.:
Don't you just hate working glass?
It looks like your planning for a larger tank, right?
If so, how big?
The pictures are very good and say volumes.

Thanks;
George

mphatc
05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
New fuel tank . .

I let the hull layout determine size, as I wanted the pick up and level sender in a location easily accessible from the opening in the cockpit floor.

Patriot in NJ built the tank, Thanks for the tips Geoo and Scott, I ended up with a 44 gallon capacity, up from 22.

Mario

PS, not to worry, images are only from test fit . . . I'll be treating the tank with the full etch and epoxy paint treatment before installing it with foam.

MOP
05-02-2004, 08:43 PM
So glad to see you making headway, glass work looks super as does the new tank.

Phil

Scott Pearson
05-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Mario,
Glass work looks great!

Didnt the original tank have the fuel filler inlet off to the side so it would clear the ski locker? Why wasnt an extention welded on with a knurled end for the fuel filler hose?

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC

mphatc
05-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Thank you Scott,

On a Corsican there is no under deck ski locker, and the fuel fill is top center of the bow "crown". You need to be a snake to crawl under this deck! Virtually unusable space, making this model a small boat, as there is almost no dry storage space on board, not even space for a cooler with 3 passengers, 2 of which had better be children!

As for the threaded fitting for the fuel fill and vent, it was like this on the original tank, and that was what I requested. I'll be using SS fittings for all connections to the tank.

Mario

Planning on buying the other 69!

Morgan's Cloud
05-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Mario,

I see that you've added some 'ribs' outboard of the stringers.
Did you have some failure in the glass of the strakes along this area as I did. ?
(I have also rectified with ribs and a few other things...)

Steve

Scott Pearson
05-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Mario,
When you put the Stainless fitting in the Aluminum tank MAKE SURE you use some sort of lube when doing so. If you dont you will strip the threads when screwing the fittings in.

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC

mphatc
05-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Steve,

No failures in that area, all four ribs were there to begin with, one had some minor rot, I reinforced the others while i was at it.

I have to say I was fortunate, nothing else had any rot, but then again water coud never get to it as the original owner must have drained engine oil into the bilge for 20 years! :shocking:
We scrubbed the interior of the hull with automotive brake cleaner and parts washer solvent using steel brushes, and a steam cleaner. :puke:

Scott,
I'll be installing the SS barbed nipple :smileybo: with a 3M structural adhesive . . I've used this combo for many years building high vacuum facilities and never had a problem with assembly, disassembly and the 3M is chemically resistant.

Mario

Jamesbon
05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Wow! That looks great!

How many layers of glass are laminated on the bulkhead/gussets/stringer joints? What thickness mat?

Limber holes anyone?

Woodsy
05-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Looks GREAT mario! Better get workin though... the ice is out on Winni and the bandits have already started to prowl. A lone White Yellow 22 was spotted cruising the lake saturday with some CrazyHorse driving.... the bad sledding season has begun!

Woodsy Von Outboard