PDA

View Full Version : Need to find a compatible pully

bverd
05-02-2004, 09:14 AM
I need to replace a powersteering pulling on a Mercruiser SBC. I am curious if there is an automotive equivalant that I can purchase seeing that it is probably 1/100th the cost and the nearest marine store is a bit of a drive.

--bverd

olredalert
05-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Bverd,

------If you have a bit of time take a look at the many available billet pulleys in the hot rod world. An issue of Street Rodder would give you a good start, but you could probably find many on the web with a little time.
------If you need it quicker and can handle the part probably rusting quicker you could go to any junk yard and get a GM pulley, I think. They appear basicly the same and to give you some corrosion resistance you could get it powdercoated after sand-blasting. Hope this helps..........Bill S

bverd
05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I am looking for a replacement to the PowerSteering pully on a serpentine system. No conversion happening.

--bverd

olredalert
05-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Bverd,

------Sorry, I didnt realize you were referring to a serpentine set-up. Stuck in the 60s I guess. Not sure but pretty much the same answer should apply if you have the same shaft as a Chevy with PS.............Bill S

smoothie
05-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Check these guys out,if they dont have it,no one will.
http://www.marchperf.com/pg50.html

Rootsy
05-02-2004, 06:51 PM
FWIW,

during the mid to late 90's merc was using a POLYMER pulley on the pump... there was a service bulletin and a kit to replace it with a STEEL pully before it exploded. the pulleys ARE NOT the same diameter... and the kit comes with pulley and new serpentine belt of appropriate length.

you should be able to use any serpentine pulley off of a late model GM car or truck that uses this pump...

i think the retrofit steel pulley kit and belt were something like 125 bucks.. OUCH...

JR - still playing with plastic...

bverd
05-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys.. it is a power steering pully off of a 2001 6.2 MPI serpentine setup. There has got to be an automotive equivilent that I don't have to spend $125 on.

Thanks in advance,
--bverd