PDA

View Full Version : KRC Power Steering ???

mphatc
05-02-2004, 08:18 AM
A short while back someone posted this link with pictures of a small aluminum power steering pump set up.

http://www.krcpower.com/productCat41326.ctlg

I am presently trying to set up my power steering pump for my SBF and Bravo combo, and would like to know what size pump to buy??

Unfortunately I don't remember who made the post, and searching under KRC didn't work . . can anyone help?

Thank you,
Mario L.

MOP
05-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Whats wrong with running the GM pump? Readily available at any parts house or complete with brackets at a wrecking yard.

mphatc
05-02-2004, 11:20 AM
It's UGLY :puke:

It's GM and this is a Ford :biggrin:

Mario L.

gcarter
05-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Why not a Ford PS pump? It'd still be ugly, but at least it'd be a Ford! :smile:

George :wavey:

MOP
05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Same Candy Different Wrapper!

MOP
05-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Mario just remembered while I was researching steering stuff I found a few electric power steering pumps, they said that significant HP gains would be realized using them over engine driven. I will do a poke around to see if I can provide a URL.

Ugly or pretty you could hide it some place!

MOP
05-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Went to do a search there were so many hits on electric power steering I only read the first one. GM is using them as a stock item on many new models should be real easy to get a brandy new one more than likely cheaper than a marine unit.

GEOO
05-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I use one of the Aluminum KRC pumps. You can adjust the steering wheel feel by changing the size of the valve. I bought the pump from Keith Eickert and paid twice as much as buying it directly from KRC. You need to size the pump to the steering ram(s) total cc. KRC can tell you which pump KE uses or you can call KE and find out which pump they use for your ram(s) size. I have several valves to adjust the flow if you want to try some.

mphatc
05-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Thank you Geoo!

My plan is to use it with the stock Bravo PS for this year, budget is out the window :splat: way to far to add external rams this year.

your adjusting flow, I presume restricting it by creating an orifice . . .

Quoting KRC's website:
"Anything over 2,000 RPM is just circulating fluid and consuming horsepower."
are you running a bypass loop that is pressure controlled?
certainly you're looking to save . . . gain . . any HP that you can :wink:

Mario L.

Eugene Nahemow
05-03-2004, 02:06 PM
I posted the link on the KRC pump.
I will look to see what size it is.
Although it's used from a twin setup, which I am not sure if it would be the same for a single.
I am putting another one of these on my 18 Classic with a Bravo, I will call my mechanic and find out what size he is using.

And as GEO said you can purchase these directly from KRC.

Eugene Nahemow
05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
The item # on the pump that I am using on the 18 Donzi is:
199995 IS THE PART # FOR THE PUMP

mphatc
05-06-2004, 07:50 PM
thank you, we'll see if they size the same part number for me! ;)

Mario L.

MOP
05-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Just in case any of you are interested in the electric self cooled power steering pump I will scan and post teh info as soon as I get it. It runs the same pressure as the belt pump and will free up about 15HP which is a nice freebee! Between that and an electric water pump about 30-35 free HP!