PDA

View Full Version : Documentary: Arneson #6 gear swap

Jamesbon
04-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Documentary: Arneson #6 gear swap

Without the good graces of Rik Wimp and George Desmond, I would not be writing this. Thank you fellas from the bottom of my heart!

After much figuring and calculating, I determined my 1:56 chain drive gear ratio was far too steep for the HP and weight of my GT. With that said, I "stumbled" across a set of 1:33 gears by the good graces of GEOO.

The swap from 1:56 chain to 1:33 gear was amazingly simple.

First, find a clean work space (hard to do in my garage)

Drain the transmission fluid from the gear case. I'm told the chain drive models use tranny fluid as opposed to gear lube...don't know why though. The gear drive models use gear lube.

Penetrate (ummmm) the rear upper oil seal and remove.

Remove the 10 3/8" 12 point bolts

Then remove the snap ring holding the input shaft against the upper bearing

Use a drift pin/slide hammer/ or whatever else is attainable to split the case. (ask me how I know about "whatever else is attainable") The case split easier than anticipated.

Remove the lower snap ring holding the lower chain sprocket on. Also remove the ring spacer on the lower shaft which is only used for the chain type gear. This spacer isn't needed for the new non chain set.

Believe it or not, the gears slide right off....simply amazing...

Install the "gear drive" gears on corresponding shafts facing the appropriate direction and pop the snap rings back on.

Put the upper shaft in (snicker)

WA-LA...gear swap from 1:56 chain to 1:33 "gear" drive is almost complete.

Next, clean the mating surfaces of the gear case and back cover for Permatex black silicone sealant and put the back cover on. Surprisingly, due to fine machining, these surfaces do not use a gasket.

Don't forget to install the final snap ring on the upper shaft, then the seal that covers it.

More to follow....my hands are tired of typing...

Thanks again George and RIk for making this possible!

Hope you all find this interesting...

Jamesbon
04-30-2004, 06:34 PM
next

Mr X
04-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Nate,
Let me be the first to say AWESOME!!!! :eek:

Jamesbon
04-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks Captain! That goes a long way coming from someone with as much knowledge as you!

Cuda
04-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow, I never would have thought they were interchangeble. Is there any pros or cons for chain vs gear?

Jamesbon
04-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Me either, Joe.

I don't know of any.

I believe the chain drive's intention was to act as a counter part in a twin set up, as the chain and gear drive's output rotates in the opposite direction while using the same input direction.

gcarter
04-30-2004, 08:09 PM
The gearset would generate a substantial amount of thrust, which the chain does not. However if the case and bearings are designed for it then that doesn't matter.

George

GEOO
04-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Nat,
Nice pics.. So that's were those parts go? :boat:

Jamesbon
04-30-2004, 10:04 PM
gcarter,
That's correct. The gear case is designed for either set.

MP,
:rlol: I can't wait for the debuit!!!

GEOO,
Who knows! As many cokctails as I had while installing them, we'll just wait and see! :boggled: