PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat in Holman Moody 289 Engine

rustnrot
04-30-2004, 08:11 AM
As I am putting back together the 289 Holman Moody engine in the 1967 16' v-drive, I noticed that there was no thermostat originally. For those that may not know, there is no circulation pump either. Just a seawater pump that pumps directly into the block (without even preheating the water thru the manifolds). That said, the Holman Moody thermostat cover does not even have the bypass hole machined out. Therefore, am I to surmise it was not designed for a thermostat?? I.e., without a bypass there would be no reliable way for the cooling water to go bleed past the thermostat telling it when it is hot and when to open.

Not that this should make any difference but remember Gang, this is a v-drive so the seawater pump is on the end of the crankshaft.

IMHO it would be "easy enough" to provide said bypass and a thermostat. However, it may not be warranted if it ran 40 years without one. That, and the lakes down here in the summer are bathwater warm.

Comments please.....

mattyboy
04-30-2004, 10:12 AM
the raw water pump is a jabsco crank driven not sure if my has a t stat or not??? it does have a crossover into the manifolds I can take some pics this weekend for you.
The biggest thing is the star shaped spacer that goes behind it that needs to be changed when you change the impellor

Matty

rickrsbro
04-30-2004, 04:23 PM
i have been told the rubber 'star' coupler is available from grainger.

matty, do you know of any other suppliers? itt/jabsco?

KDG
04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
the raw water pump is a jabsco crank driven not sure if my has a t stat or not??? it does have a crossover into the manifolds I can take some pics this weekend for you.
The biggest thing is the star shaped spacer that goes behind it that needs to be changed when you change the impellor

Matty

Matty:

Are these still available? I've been searching the web but haven't had any luck. I can dig out a part number when I return home later in the week if needed. This was on my 351 windsor. Any suggestions, ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Kurt

MOP
04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Without the bypass port you need to drill a 5/15" hole in the Tstat, that will supply ample water to the manifolds during warm up.

Jabsco has an improved pump that no longer uses the rubber cross but bolts directly to the crank, it runs about $115.

Phil