PDA

View Full Version : 1969 19' Corsican

JWCall
04-29-2004, 09:27 PM
What would a 69 19' Corsican with a 351w in need of some work be worth? I might have found one and I would like to know what a fair price for it could be. I know there were a very limited # produced and I haven't gotten the specifics or hull # yet. Thanks

Scott Pearson
04-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Must be an 18 Corsican. Donzi never made a 19 Corsican.

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC

mattyboy
04-30-2004, 06:15 AM
JW,
they do have a higher value but how much higher is all realtive,
to what someone is willing to pay.
if your interested in the boat and can aford it ,it will be well worth it, if that is true I suggest you don't give away anymore info ;) :yes:

Matty

rayjay
04-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Must be an 18 Corsican. Donzi never made a 19 Corsican. - (NJ)Scott LGDCC

Didn't one of the "knock-off's" make a 19' Corsican-like boat besides a 19' Classic=like boat? Viper or Cobalt? I seem to remember seeing one for sale a few years ago.

Cobalt Corsican (http://www.geocities.com/classic_cobalt/info2)

Someone could be selling it as a Donzi not realizing it is a knock-off. Or, are they measuring it "including" the o/d as in some of the old brochures?

rayjay

JWCall
04-30-2004, 08:31 AM
It is 18'. I called the guy today. I am going to look at the boat tommorrow. It has a built 351w and a volvo 270. I wont know the hull # until I see the boat. It needs a new interior. It needs work, but I dont think its something that needs a resto right away. What else should I look for when I see the boat? How do I check if the core is rotten? What would a be fair price?

mattyboy
04-30-2004, 09:11 AM
see if the deck flexes alot with some light pressure, don't forget to check the tank on an older boat as well
I'm not sure on price an original 69 classic not molested depending on condition can range 5k on the low side to 14k on the high side, what the rarity value is is hard to say

Matty

Woodsy
04-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Have it SURVEYED!

Woodsy Von Outboard

olredalert
04-30-2004, 10:35 AM
JW,

-------Your question is a good one but a bit broad in range. You could be facing a bunch of different questions. Is there stringer rot,etc? what condition is the drivetrain in? Yes, a Corsican is worth more than an 18 Classic based on the fact that there were only 54 made, and probably only about 20 to 25 left. When you find out more about the boat (serial no., condition, etc.) let us know and we can get you a bit closer on the pricing. Good luck, good hunting!............Bill S

CDMA
04-30-2004, 12:01 PM
ol Red why would you say only 20-25 would be left? In me experience very rarely do old boats, escpecially Donzi's, actually get cut up.

Chris

mattyboy
04-30-2004, 12:21 PM
ol Red why would you say only 20-25 would be left? In me experience very rarely do old boats, escpecially Donzi's, actually get cut up.

Chris

you mean like this :tongue: :rlol:

Matty
sorry that was uncalled for

Cuda
04-30-2004, 02:13 PM
JW,
they do have a higher value but how much higher is all realtive,
to what someone is willing to pay.
if your interested in the boat and can aford it ,it will be well worth it, if that is true I suggest you don't give away anymore info ;) :yes:

Matty

Especially if you don't want it to end up in South Florida. :o

olredalert
04-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Chris,

------These boats are like the feild of dreams to a lot of people. They buy them when they get run down thinking they will restore them and nothing gets done. They may be inside for awhile and then another project comes up or mama wants her parking space back and then they get relagated to the outside environment with a brand new shiny blue tarp. Of course the tarp has no UV resistance so it rots away and is never replaced. Then the boat sits for another couple of years just collecting water and mosquitos............Bill S

mphatc
04-30-2004, 08:55 PM
JW,

while looking at a Corsican ,

the deck core is foam, and not balsa like the flat decked boats, and it is completely sealed except at the rear engine vents . . these holes were just cut in and never sealed from water.

Expect that you will have to replace the fuel tank, which is a deck off operation. Windshields are only custom made, they were all green 3/16" thick lexan. If it is missing, expect to pay mucho to make or get another.

Bilt Right still makes the interior for the boat, Oldred replaced the one in my Corsican for ~ $1800 2 years ago.

If you search my recent history of posts you will see some images of my boat disassembled. I am in the midst of replacing the fuel tank, and building a new engine, replacing the Volvo 250 with a Bravo . . . .and almost doubling my initial investment . . . . :eek!: :eek!: :banghead:

Feel free to post me directly for many detailed images and more info if you'd like!

Good Luck, let us know the Hull Number!

if the sticker is not under the rear seat backreast cushion, it will be under the dash written under the fiberglass on the plywood dash core, Or at the bow eye bolt reinforcement pad under the deck.

Mario L.
Corsican C16-32 1969

JWCall
05-01-2004, 02:43 PM
The boat is up for grabs!! I went and saw it this afternoon and didnt come home with it. It is jus about a shell. The deck seems good, is has the foam core. The transom and stringers seemed alright to me but im no expert. The gel coat was also flakingoff near the back rear scoops and the windshield. There werent any visible stress cracks on the boat bottom of the boat. The motor was a 351w which was changed from a H/M 302. The motor had the originol h/m exhaust manifolds, water neck, etc. It didnt have the h/m waterpump block off plate and engine mounts that are on the 351w that is in my 68 18 barrelback. There was no outdrive on the boat and the guy said he had it but couldnt find it. The windsheild was cracked and the covers to the side storage compartments were totally rotten and weighed alot due to the water that was still in them. The front part of the floor had been removed to get to the gas tank and was then discarded. The interior was shot the rear cushions must have weighed 30lbs due to all the water that was in them. The trailer is an ez loader with rollers and every single roller needs to be replaced. I did take some pics and write down the # that were on the id plate that was inside the port storage compartment. The hull # was c18c-15, outdrive 221861, engine b8hm-2172-1-R/W. The guy wanted 3grand for it and I didnt want to pay anything over 2. So I came home with $$ instead of a boat. The boat is listed on the wantaddigest.com under power boats.

Lenny
05-01-2004, 03:46 PM
...from that ad...
w/351 & EZ Load trlr, spring project for summer spd, needs work all around, $3180 Jefferson, NY (607) 435-3871

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34555

CDMA
05-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Jw,

I think you made a good call. I love the old rotten ones no one else is willing to tackle but that sounds more like a $1000 -2000 boat then a $3000 boat.

Share pics though

Chris

mphatc
05-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Please post the pics, and send them to me off list at

Langsten@comcast.net

I have a likely buyer . . . knowing what I just went through on mine $3000 is a bit steep, but not out of the ball park!

Mario L.

Rootsy
05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
hmmm for 1500 bucks i'd be going to new england... and lenny would be getting all kinds of fiberglass mould building questions LOL

sooo anyone want a 16?

olredalert
05-01-2004, 10:03 PM
-------15th one ever built. Sad! I guess that is the reason I say that half or less of the Corsicans as well as other DONZIs are left. Sure it could be restored but not reasonably.........Bill S

JWCall
05-02-2004, 12:19 AM
The lowest that the guy would go was 2300 with me and he also claimed that he had someone else coming later today and then tommorrow. I tried uploading the pics and i got an error message. All I can say is you dont get much more than a hull. The guy was going on and on how he researched Don Aronnow on the internet a few years ago, but he had no clue about the boat. He thought that removing the front part of the floor was agreat improvement. There were bees that made a hive on the backside of the dash which I found as I attemted looking for a hull #, before I found the tag in the side compartment. I dont think that the boat had a hash life before it got parked, but now that it has been sitting for 3 yrs its just been eatin up. I didnt even see stress cracks around the bottom edge of the cockpit floor.

mphatc
05-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Presently I am trying to buy this boat! Only the good lord knows why, I can only drive one at at time, but a friend might have me restore it, or I'll do it for myself over the next year . . . or decade :)

Best part is Linda said GO FOR IT! :bighug: god I love her she never says no to my toy addiction!

Mario L.

MOP
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Me thinks she is humoring you, she knows you are slipping! Thats true love! :rlol:

mphatc
05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Done deal, assuming that most everything is as per my conversation with the seller this boat comes home to NH on the 16th! :smile: :D :bonk:

We'll not be looking to launch it this year, but to do a full deck off restoration starting midsummer.

Worst part is that I loose day to work on C18 32 to drive to NY and get this one . . . . :frown:

What has this board got me into?????

Mario L.

roadtrip se
05-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Just stay away from the mystic color paint schemes or we will know that you have lost it!

Hope to see the current WIP Corsican in complete form at 1000 Islands.

Todd

olredalert
05-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Mario,

-----You, my friend are totally gone. I feel partially responsible. Someone else completeley sucked in. Our diabolical plans are coming to fruition! He,he,he he he.....................Bill S

mphatc
05-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Bill,

You are responsible! . . . or irresponsible . . ??? :jestera:

Linda, :smileybo: wants to :uzi: you, because all I do these days is play with race cars :checkered , come home, give her a big :bighug: . . . then I'm :outtahere and off to play on the boat! :) :) :)

Todd, rest assured the plan is to be at 1000 Islands, and by then it better have atleast 100 hours on it! No custom paint schemes here, just a buff and polish, all energy and $$$$$$$$ is focused on the mechanicals!!!

Mario . . off to the garage to paint the hull internals . .

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-05-2004, 10:48 PM
MPHATC:

Now all you need to do is pick up this 18 for parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2476606144&category=31270

Ya see how these things begin to snowball???

FR :lightning

Scott Pearson
05-06-2004, 05:13 AM
I looked at that boat on ebay about 5 yaers ago. If you have any questions please email me.

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC