PDA

View Full Version : Removing old gas

Cuda
04-29-2004, 04:17 PM
What is the best way to do this? I was at the mech's today and he was about to put the engine in when we could smell the old gas. Smells like linseed oil. I'm going to pick the boat up, less engine of course, bring it home and get the gas out of it. He asked me if I wanted to clean the bilge first. I told him if I knew it was going to take six weeks, I would have painted the bilge. :angryfire Anyhoo, I'd like to know if there are places that I can take the boat to and have the old gas pumped out and disposed of. If I siphon it out, I still have the problem of getting rid of it.

gcarter
04-29-2004, 06:24 PM
I found the tag on my tank last night, it said it holds 41 gallons. Now the mechanical gauge in the tank says it's empty, so I don't think I have a problem. But it's an interesting question. For instance, Im not sure siphoning would be very easy. The last boat I rebuilt, I pumped out over 150 gallons with one of those Black & Decker peristaltic pumps (you know, you turn a crank, by hand, and rollers run around in a circular motion & it squeezes a tube). I eventually strained it and diluted it insome of my service trucks, about five gallons at a time.

George

Wildfire
04-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Cuda,

I pulled about 30 gallons out of the Magnum by putting an outboard primer bulb in the fuel line and let that start the siphon action for me. It took probably 15 minutes for 5 gallons, so have something else to do while our friend, Mr. Gravity, does his thing. The tank was bone dry when I pulled it.

The gas went in my Toyota pickup, 5 gallons at a time. I always had about 10 gallons of fresh in there and the truck never noticed. Of course, it does have 167,000 miles on it.

Mac
04-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I used Safetly Kleen, http://www.safety-kleen.com/skcda/views/pages/channel/SKhome.jspI had to go through a lot of paperwork but it was worth it, I had about 60 gallons on un usable gas to get rid of. I syphoned it out of the boat and into a 55 gallon drum I picked up from them when I did all the paper work, then I called them and they came out and got it. They could not come soon enough, I did not like having the drum on my property, if it ever let go I would have been facing thousands in EPA cleanup fees. Total cost was about $270. I ended up getting rid of the last 5 gallons at a town hazardous waste day when you can bring all your stuff and get rid of it. Be very careful removing it from the boat, I used a garden hose and submerged it the tank through the access port, capped both ends put one of the ends in the drum and uncapped both ends. Simple syphon no pumps or risk of sparks. I called many places and no one wanted anything to do with old gas, old diesel no problem.

penbroke
04-29-2004, 08:25 PM
To drain my tank for removal I disconnected the line from the filter to the engine and connected a hose to the filter. Ran the hose out the drain hole in the transom. Raised the bow and drained it into several outboard tanks for storage. Been using the gas in the snowblower/lawn mower/roto tiller ever since. There was only about a cup left in the tank when I removed it.

If the gas is bad, most towns (around here) have a hazardous waste facility that will accept materials like this at little or no charge. They don't want the idiots dumping the stuff in the storm drains.

Frank

Forrest
04-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I just take old gas, as long as it's clean, and dilute it with new gas and burn it my old Cevy van. Never a problem and the extra gas is always welcome. :hyper:

Fish boy
04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Cuda,
you might try calling Longhose in Pinellas Park. I do not know if they do disposal, but I used them a couple of times when my gas was bad with AWESOME results. The first time I used them my gas was so bad that when I looked at my clear fule filter, it was milky greenish white in color and slightly viscous.

Called long hose and the recirculated my fule through huge filters a few times and it was as good as new. Probably cost you about 125 bucks unless you trailer the boat to his shop and catch him before he heads out for the day- you save the trip charge.

Fish

Longhose (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=11693229&ck=1820258994&tab=B2C&tcat=24628342&city=St+Pete+Beach&state=FL&zip=33706-1352&uzip=33706&country=us&msa=8280&cs=9&ed=Suvgoa160SzNAMaooCJv10ReG7mRfiE71wST_9IEgpJ_4F0 .CHvBDbUSh0Ps6jkEwn5l4bebT7sq&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0)

rickrsbro
04-30-2004, 04:30 PM
i would just fill up all of your neighbors lawnmowers while they are sleeping. :)