PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Foils

Doug G
04-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Does anybody have any experience with these? It's called a Sting Ray, it attaches to the cavitation plate, and is supposed to help stabilize the boat the way trim tabs would. At least, thats what I've been told :rolleyes: http://www.marine-dynamics.com/

I was hoping to install trim tabs this winter, but the unemployment bug hit in early December, so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense to the boss, even though I know she'd like the boat better. :biggrin.:

The boat is a 23 Ragazza, 350 Merc/Alpha.

Any input or background would be appreciated.

Thanks!

5 more days til launch :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Fish boy
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Doug,
not sure about the stabilization, most of the people I know using them are on outboards to help with cavitation and add a little stern lift.

I would think the trim tabs would be better but I understand the economics and reason for looking towards alternatives. Hopefully someone has used them here and has more specific info.

Fish

Tom Davis
04-29-2004, 12:22 PM
They work well on small outboard applications to help get on plane faster add stern lift and to help cut down on porposing. But for a high performance applications they tend to break off and take parts of your cavitation plate with them when they go, trust me on this one...

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Sam
04-29-2004, 12:40 PM
What Tom just said !

MOP
04-29-2004, 01:46 PM
The prior owner of my 16 tried them to get on plane quicker for skiing. Worked great, but at speed when he tried to trim up it pulled the stern down and slowed the boat a lot.

Phil

mikev
04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
I have a 19' regazza and would not run without one it planes quicker with less bowrise. rides allot smoother in the rough water. I have taken it off a few times because everyone told me I would gain a couple of miles an hour top end without it. it pouned allot more in the rough water took longer to plane and i gained 0 mph on the top end so I put it back on.

txtaz
04-30-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm with Tom,
I have one on my 16' outboard and it helps. But in a heavier boat I think it would do more harm in the long run. Save the bucks for trim tabs. They are nice to have. Good luck on the employment thing. I know it's tough.
Wes

Doug G
05-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've talked to some other folks that have tried them, with mixed results. I think I'll hold off on this thing for now and try to swing the tabs later this summer. With gas prices what they are, I'm not sure how far I'm going to go anyway :rolleyes:

Stephane
05-13-2004, 08:51 PM
I have a Ragazza 23 with a 350 OMC and the boat is equiped with Sting Ray plate and Trim tab.

I tried the boat without the Sting ray last year with a slight difference on time to plane. I also had the feeling to be nose up without the sting ray.

If you have the approval of your boss... it's a must to put trim tab on your boat. It's more confortable when you bring a lot of people and someone are big you cna level the boat like you want. The other thing is when you want to run on a big wave you can put your trim down yo break the wave.

What kind of top speed did you get with your boat ?

Thanks

Stephane