PDA

View Full Version : Flag

bgagne
04-28-2004, 11:42 AM
I would like to put an American Flag on a pole on my 22. I want to have a "classic" look to it. Any ideas out there? I have been thinking about going with a flush mount fitting and a teak pole, I am just not sure if the teak would look right>

Brian

McGary911
04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Were you thinking of the bow or stern? I know lots of old wood antique speedsters have the bow mount. Is that the classic you were looking for? I'd just be afraid of it coming off and hitting you in the face at speed.....

mattyboy
04-28-2004, 12:42 PM
I use the light pole for my flag as you see in my avatar, but here is a 2004 22 classic up at Lake George that had all teak trim and a teak flag pole, boat was beautiful!!!
btw I have a pole for the front I tried it and it is a pain in your line of sight plus you here the flapping more than if it is behind you,plus if it gets wet it like a sprinkler

Matty

bgagne
04-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Matty,

That picture is exactly what I was considering. I like the centerline mounting. Thanks.

Brian

Mac
04-28-2004, 02:47 PM
A Bertram 20' I had, had a flag mounted in about the same spot, the base was flush, chromed bronze, the pole was stainless steel but shaped like the teak ones. It was a nice setup, the pole also had the spring loaded ball to keep it in the socket at speed, I am not sure how the teak ones stay in, if it is just friction I would think they could jar loose with some chop.

gcarter
04-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Well I haven't dug out my Chapman's, but I think the bow pole is for your club burgee, not the national flag.

George :checkered

MOP
04-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I love the look of the flag aft, I ran mine all the time and will put one on the 22. I caught a ration from the commodore of the yacht club older timer than me told about flag etiquette saying it should only be flown when the vessel is at rest. I think it is a dumb rule and will probably continue to violate it.

Phil.

Marlin275
04-29-2004, 07:27 AM
Pure Teak and Some Great Colors
Fly that flag for the Rest of the year MOP!

Mac
"I am not sure how the teak ones stay in, if it is just friction I would think they could jar loose with some chop."

I lost 4 flags till I got it right
Screw in base, keeps pole on boat
Hard part is keeping flag on pole
Now use those plastic hand cuffs, tie downs.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cgabeler288.jpg