PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge

txtaz
04-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey everyone,
Any ideas on fixing a non-linear gas gauge? I've had boats all my life and none are perfect, BUT this one is out of hand. The first half (indicated) uses 30 gallons, the second half uses 8 gallons. I got stuck on the lake because of it. All Marinas closed and was begging for gas from other boaters. I got a gallon and almost made it to the ramp, then got a tow from a nice couple who would not take any money for their time.
Any help is appreciated.
BTW, the boat is getting ready to be torn apart to put in a new stereo which would make a good time to fix the gauge. If someone could send the electrical specs on the Gaffrig II gauge, I could put an inline resistor to offset the sender. Or if it's not too tough to get to, I could rebend the sender arm. Plus it seems like the pickup might be a bit short. I think it's a 50 gallon tank.
Thanks for the help.
Wes

RedDog
04-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I bet you have a 40 gallon tank - the '90 model 18 I use to have was 40 gallons and I suspect it was also sucked dry a little quicker than yours :wink:

And like you the gauge in my 22 is out of whack - 50 gallon tank, gauge reads 2/3s, takes 30 gallons to top off.

Forrest
04-28-2004, 05:04 PM
You could always put a shorter sending unit so that the gauge would show "empty" at the same level where it used to show "half". That way when the gauge shows empty you would still have eight gallons left. :crossfing

gcarter
04-28-2004, 05:19 PM
I just ordered a Faria fuel manager from Mear Image for a smidge over $170.00, it totalizes, gives the burn rate & all that stuff. You can find Mear on eBay (NOT next to the wedding dress!)
Anyway it solves a lot of those problems. :yippie:
It's a 2" +/- size gauge.

George :us-texas: