View Full Version : Diamond Plate

RickR
04-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Engine compartment is getting there :smash:

Thanks for the help :beer:
Dr Dan Gcarter and Air 22

RickR
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
I am using wood tools and a die grinder.

The old fiberglass plate trim is toward the centerline.
Automotive door trim on the outside.

RickR
04-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Trim is available at your local Automotive Paint supply store.

$16 for 25'
I used the kind with adhesive.

gcarter
04-27-2004, 09:59 AM
The old fiberglass plate trim is toward the centerline.
Automotive door trim on the outside.
What trim is this, Rick?

George

RickR
04-27-2004, 10:18 AM
George
It's the OE anodized aluminum trim used on the late model Classics w/fiberglass diamondplate.
I was afraid the vinyl automotive trim would scratch if used in that area.

Dr. Dan
04-27-2004, 12:12 PM
:D Big Rick...That looks Awesome Dude! The Diamond Plate I have sources for ...but I too would like some more clarification of the Trim(source).

The "ProTecto Trim" you just flatten it out and screw it down?

I was gonna use a flat stock Flooring Metal....but I would like to check into yours...looks so much more finished...

Doc :pimp:

BUIZILLA
04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Now THAT'S what I want to do.

RickR
04-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Hope this helps.

OE anodized trim is on left.
Automotive vinyl trim is on right. :smash:

RickR
04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
After and before YEEHAAAA!!!! :checkered
Now if I just had an engine :rlol:

gcarter
04-27-2004, 06:57 PM
OK, I think I have it figured now. The sides were already covered, you simply installed the checkered plate on top of it. Right?
So how does one do something like this without the sides already covered? I mean, I can probably think of half a dozen ways to do it, but how has it bveen done in the past?
Can you show us how the motor mounts are installed?
The overall effect is awesome! :lightning
In the very best "Hot Rod" tradition!

George

Dr. Dan
04-27-2004, 08:29 PM
:smash: Rick...Looks incredible...can you shoot a pic of the Motor Mounts and how you are working those...vs. the Stringers? :redface:

I am speechless....way to go...!

Doc :lookaroun

RedDog
04-28-2004, 07:51 AM
...can you shoot a pic of the Motor Mounts and how you are working those...vs. the Stringers?

Doc :lookaroun

Go back and re-read Rick's post - he doesn't need motor mounts - he doesn't have a motor :bonk:

Otherwise it sure is pretty :rlol:

GKricheldorf
04-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Oh i like the organizaton and clean lines :) :) Now i have something else to do to the boat

bgagne
04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Rick

Your engine compartment looks great. I have a couple of questions: 1. How did you attach it on the sides? I pulled the fiberglass off of my last fall and could not believe the amount of junk caught under it. 2. What did you do with the access holes for the motor mounts? I can not keep that area dry or clean.

RickR
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
bgange
I attached where the old screws were on the fiberglass diamondplate (no screws on the very outside)

Dr Dan
I will have to remove the diamond plate to access the motor mount bolts. The old OE fiberglass diamond plate had an access plate (see pic)

gcarter
Yes the sides were already covered. Donzi fiberglassed a floor over the stringers and ribs then covered with fiberglass diamond plate (see pic)

Have patience with my replies. The V-6 is going in soon :wink:

Brad Lyon
04-28-2004, 08:17 PM
That is really nice. You can tell allot of thought went into every detail. Just be careful when you open that hatch in the bright sunlight that you don't blind yourself. :biggrin.:

Truly awesome!

Brad

Air 22
04-29-2004, 08:48 PM
RICK....

That looks just great... :yes: i did the lower section below the seat and sides into the bilge area...easy to do. Wish i could have removed the engine... :rolleyes: but that might be next year for another project.... :eek!:

keep the photo's comming...NICE JOB! :shades:

RickR
05-11-2004, 10:05 AM
WEST MARINE has some "rub rail" available that also might work for diamond plate trim.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?keyword=341035&resultCt=1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=30552

Scott Heidt
05-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Looks awesome! Where is the sign up sheet to bring our boats over for the Diamond Plate treatment! :yes:

Jamesbon
05-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Geez! That's an unbelieveably great looking job!

You're hired! You can start work on mine anytime!!

Eugene Nahemow
05-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Rick,
The compartment looks great. I can't wait to see what goes in it!

Where do you guys find the time to do your own work?
I would love to be able to have the time to start and compete these kind of projects.

DonCig
07-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Recently my firm has started representing a company out of Buffalo N.Y that makes a product equal to none. The next time that you want to add some sparkle to your Donzi, give these people a call. They will sell you just one sheet at a time of their product. I love the acid etched/colored stainless patterns. I would reccomend using the stainless diamond plate items rather than aluminum. It will look nicer for a much greater period of time. Also, you can go with a light gage (Thickness) which keeps the weight down and makes the material a lot easier to fabricate and mount. Tell them that you want the "Donzi.net" discount and they will take good care of your needs. Take some time to look at their website, they have a huge range of products that they manufacture.

www.rigidized.com

Don Tamm