PDA

View Full Version : Ding Dang Canadians!!!!!

MOP
04-27-2004, 08:28 AM
These boys have been holding out on us! Shots of the new 1000 Island Donzi Chase boat below.

Sneaky buggers thought they could surprise us!

Digger
04-27-2004, 11:20 AM
wonder if anyone has ever tried to go under it. :hyper:

MOP
04-27-2004, 11:34 AM
wonder if anyone has ever tried to go under it. :hyper:

I was thinking the same thing when I got the photos from my buddy up there, could you just see 15 Donzi's screaming through :checkered

boxy
04-27-2004, 01:16 PM
My Dad watched it go by yesterday afternoon, and he said he could easily drive his 23 Powerquest under the tunnels.
He was floating just east of Abay when it met a downstream freighter in the channel.
It won't be in the area long, it's an Australian made ship, and it's heading to it's home port of Rochester New York where it will begin ferry service between Rochester and Toronto. It's a little over 300 feet long, holds 750 passengers, 250 cars, and 10 tour buses or tractor trailers, it will make the 130 mile Lake Ontario crossing in about 2.5 hours........... that's right ..... it has a top speed of 55 mph :eek: :eek:

gcarter
04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
:eek!: :eek!: :lightning :fire:

George

Lenny
04-27-2004, 04:41 PM
We had a similar thing, but it turned into a nightmare and they made too large of waves which were ruining expensive waterfront housing, the aluminum hulls broke up often in the open Strait of Georgia crossing, and the MTU Diesels cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Anyways, they cost close to a half billion dollars for the three, about 3 times the original budget... It was a total BLOW-OUT... :( Now they are in Washington awaiting deployment on inland waterways.

http://www.geocities.com/ferries_bc/pacificats.html

http://members.shaw.ca/highspeedships/

boxy
04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
http://www.austal-ships.com/index.cfm

Len here are the guys that built the ferry, it made it from Australia unscathed with the exception of a small bang at the Manhattan pier that ripped a 7.5 metre long hole in the hull.

MOP
04-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Boxy I did not realize that is the same boat that had to stay in NY harbor for repairs after it hit a dock.

Phil

MainBrain
04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
We sent this press release out to the marine industry in October 2003.

AMH Government Sales Division
Contracts with U.S. Office of Naval Research.

For immediate release:

Sarasota, FL - American Marine Holdings, builders of Donzi and Pro-Line Boats, has signed an agreement with the U.S. Office of Naval Research to build and test a 103 foot, hi-speed, air-inducted vessel under their government sales division’s new aluminum catamaran line, SeaCoaster.

The construction of this vessel will take place at the Austal USA shipyard in Mobile, Alabama. Austal USA brings to market a new dimension in high-speed marine transport, utilizing the company's leading edge technology and design capabilities, not previously available to US customers.

The agreement for hull #1 is valued at just under $4.5 million dollars and calls for the design, construction and demonstration of SeaCoaster’s advanced hull form technology. Upon it’s successful evaluation, this technology will be offered to various departments of the U.S. Military for potential applications requiring a high speed, shallow draft, and highly efficient hull form.

American Marine Holdings President, Mike Collins, notes, “While we have sold Donzi’s and Pro-Line’s for military and government applications in the past, this new boat takes us to another level in terms of what we can offer to government customers. We have high expectations for our SeaCoaster boats and this contract is just the tip of the iceberg.”

SeaCoaster’s Surface Effect Catamarans range in size from 50' to 230’ and are designed for use as patrol and fire-rescue boats, as well as a wide variety of commercial uses. The vessel characteristics are hi-speed (50+ knots), low wake, shallow draft, stable platform, handles heavy loads at hi-speeds, reduced underwater magnetic signature and are less susceptible to damage from underwater explosions.

According to John Hotz, Director of Government Sales for AMH, "We see this boat as having a variety of commercial applications such as a fast ferry or a crew supply boat as well as the obvious military applications. The speed and performance of the air-inducted cat lends a lot of versatility to a vessel like this.”

For more information contact Mike Collins at (941) 755-7790.
DONZI MARINE, P. O. Box 987,Tallevast, FL 34270. www.donzimarine.com

Koenig
04-29-2004, 09:15 PM
We had a similar thing, but it turned into a nightmare and they made too large of waves which were ruining expensive waterfront housing, the aluminum hulls broke up often in the open Strait of Georgia crossing, and the MTU Diesels cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Anyways, they cost close to a half billion dollars for the three, about 3 times the original budget... It was a total BLOW-OUT... :( Now they are in Washington awaiting deployment on inland waterways.

http://www.geocities.com/ferries_bc/pacificats.html

http://members.shaw.ca/highspeedships/
After watching the O'Reilly Factor I thought this was going to a nice friendly Canada thread! :wink:

Mr. Lenny,

Do you work for the B.C. Ferries? I was in Victoria a couple of weeks ago. Used an inside connection for a Bridge tour of a Spirit. The ship just received a make-over, new radars, super cool stuff! Interesting link's and good to know for my next Ferry trip! Will be a good bridge discussion! :biggrin.: See what the crew thought about them.