PDA

View Full Version : Finally...the 18 is Here!

EricG
04-27-2004, 07:57 AM
As some of you know...I sold my Z21 about 3 months ago, and I bought Krakmeup's 1976 18 about 6 weeks ago. Well, after waiting for what seems like forever, the boat finally showed up yesterday. It's absolutely perfect (I hadn't actually seen it in person until yesterday AM).... Last night when I cracked opened that garage door and saw my classic sitting there....I got chills :biggrin: Like most of you, I saw my first classic when I was about 5 years old, and I never thought I'd actually get to own one. Ironically, this boat is about the same year as that one would have been....

Here's the boat being delivered:
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-1.jpg

Being Offloaded:
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-2.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-3.jpg

After a very serious Wash job:
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-4.jpg

It's a tight fit....but it goes in the garage:
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-6.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-5.jpg

-EG

txtaz
04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Congrats Eric,
Like you, I have always wanted one and finally got to realize my dream. Now I'm having the time of my life.
:hyper: :wavey:
It looks like a great boat, have fun with it.
Wes

Scott Heidt
04-27-2004, 08:18 AM
What a beautiful boat! Congrats!

Man that is a tight fit in the garage! :idea:

ToonaFish
04-27-2004, 08:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

She's beautiful, you done very very good!

Bunches,

Celene

MOP
04-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Sweet!

Best of luck it surely is a honey, nothing beats a true Classic!

Cuda
04-27-2004, 09:37 AM
I still think you should do some jail time for stealing that boat! I REALLY like her! Congratulations, have fun!

Sam
04-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Very Nice ! when do you splash her.

Sam

Lenny
04-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Very nice Eric !!! :D

See you on the water somewhere

EricG
04-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I still think you should do some jail time for stealing that boat! I REALLY like her! Congratulations, have fun!

I do feel that I got a very good deal on her...but don't worry, I have already paid my debt to society in the rediculous cost I ended up paying to get her up here.... :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I don't think I will get to splash her until Friday PM at the earliest...damn I hate it when this Job thing gets in the way of boating...

-EG
Hmmm...I wonder what it would take to start a boat shipping business :wink:

Cuda
04-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Eric, wasn't it that guy that is on other boards as 105-38-Fountain that did the hauling for you? I saw a post on another board about your boat.

Islander
04-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Congratulations. That's a beautiful boat. Looks like it's in great condition and ready for another 28 years of fun. Enjoy it.

JimG
04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Congrats, Eric! You got a great boat!

AVickers
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Gee,

I kind of miss my old boat...

It may be one of the most well-travelled Donzis on record: I bought it in Ft Worth from a guy who bought it in Wisconsin from a guy who bought it in Virginia (I think). I sold it to a guy in Minneapolis who sold it to another guy in Minnesota who sold it to a guy near Houston who sold it to a guy in Washington state. And it's still going strong.

:us-texas:
"Go Fast. Look Purdy. Or rust..."

EricG
04-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow..Al, I knew the boat was well traveled after you had it, but I didn't realize that it had done some traveling before hand too! Do you happen to have any info on the details of the motor? It runs like a top, but I'd love to know exactly what it is.... If you know anything, you could email me...if not, at least I need to say thanks for installing the Steering..I love that part :biggrin:

Cuda,
Yup, Larry shipped the boat, and I can't say anything bad about dealing with him. The delay ended up being just a case of bad timing, and he was very nice to pick up and store the boat for me for Free for almost a month.... But with the fuel prices the way they are right now, even the deal he got me was pretty high. Then again, it was the cheapest quote I got...so I guess I can't complain there either...

-EG

Cuda
04-27-2004, 03:15 PM
I can't put my finger on why, but that's my favorite 18. Does that Volvo have T&T?

AVickers
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Tilt, but no trim...

That was the next item on my list before I got a deal on a C22 and my wife insisted that two boats was one too many...

In fact, there was so much momentum on that trim track that I now have a 1.78:1 DuoProp DP-C outdrive here at the house along with a tilt/trim transom plate ready for installation into a C18 or X18, depending on which 280 Volvo-driven boat I end up with next...

Also... You should run that drive in the second trim hole rather than the innermost. It'll porpoise a bit when transisioning from plane, but it'll go faster once it's up on the foot and haulin' ass... (The third hole causes way too much porpoising for my taste and was damned unpleasant.)

I'd also look around for a LH Ultra Prop -- 22 to 24 pitch. It'll make a BIG difference in how that boat behaves. I had a RH one for a while and although it was wrong for the port helm, it really made a positive difference -- until I spun the hub. (Forrest may have one.)

"Go fast. Look Purdy. Or rust..."

EricG
04-27-2004, 04:18 PM
I'd also look around for a LH Ultra Prop -- 22 to 24 pitch. It'll make a BIG difference in how that boat behaves. I had a RH one for a while and although it was wrong for the port helm, it really made a positive difference -- until I spun the hub. (Forrest may have one.)

Nope...Forrest doesn't have one any more :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

I believe I read one of your previous posts that you had already modified the Hub to accept the ultra...is that correct?

Thanks again for the great info!

-EG

Brad Lyon
04-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Congratulations Eric, isn't it a great feeling seeing it for the first time and knowing it's yours! Good luck with her and I hope you get many enjoyable rides on her.

Brad

AVickers
04-27-2004, 04:35 PM
That hub should accept just about any prop Volvo ever made... You may have to change washers or something, but I ran all three prop types on it at one time or another.

As for the engine, I never had it down. The guy I bought it from had it replaced in that the PO in WI had allowed it to freeze and break -- although, if I remember correctly, the heads weren't hurt and they're original. The exhaust manifolds also cracked, but the brazed repairs seem to have held up fine. It had good compression when I checked it out and it always ran strong so I never had any reason to complain.

I always felt the limitation on the boat was not having trim rather than not having enough power...

"Go Fast. Look Purdy. Or rust..."

Blewbyu
04-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Eric- If you splash Wednesday-Friday in th' Lake (Washington),be sure to give me a call! I'm writing this in the middle of the 5PM hail/thunderstorm-hope the 3 day forecast holds for fair weather.Hope to get the FIRST ride (after Kathy).Great lookin' boat!!! You gonna be "long time happy GI" with that one! Your 21 was sure a looker tho..........but what the hey, ya gotta drive whatcha got-no trailer queens! CONGRATS!!!!
I may even splash 'Blewbyu' for the first time if the weather is good.Gotta get the spiders out.............we can burn summa dat $2.55 gas in a big hurry!
Whoopee-another 18 in town! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :biggrin.: :D

Blewbyu
04-27-2004, 08:08 PM
BTW- I bought a Chad Hill 25" leftie that I haven't tried yet.If it doesn't give me the holeshot or the midrange I have now, I'm gonna give it up cheap.It should run faster than your elephant ear-if your motor has enough grunt to run it in the proper range. May be too much pitch for either of us tho.I'll keep you posted if it interests you at all.

krakmeup
04-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeouch it hurts to see my (I mean Eric's :yes: ) boat on a post!! Good luck with her - we know she went to a great owner!

The drive is not drilled to accept the bolt for some newer props, but that is easily done if you research some posts. The boat should run low 50's and I really liked the simplicity of no trim, but it would help a bit if you get bored one winter!

I agree on the prop - it needs a 23 or 24 LH Ultra when you can find one. Until then, that fat 'ol 23 OJ works the best! As for trim - I liked the innermost setting, and the middle worked good, but definetly NOT the third or outermost.

Larry (shipper) was great to work with from my side, and kept me informed of progress as much as Eric did, so it seems we're all happy, or at least I will be when my new Superboat arrives in June. Until then I will longingly read your posts and smile. Maybe it's time to shop for the NEXT Donzi already....... :cool!:

Have fun and stay in touch!
Keith

MXRoadster
04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Congratulations Eric, your new boat looks great.

Its going to be in the mid 70s on Friday and Saturday :biggrin.: so Lake Washington should be packed this weekend. You should be able to test the 18s rough water capabilities all day long.

Have fun this weekend

David

Scubado
04-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Eric! It's beautiful! Congratulations :party: I can't wait to see that boat. Looks like the trailer is in good shape too. Let me know anytime you are up for a road trip. This Chelan trip is going to be great, can't wait.

Jeff