PDA

View Full Version : Pic of trim tabs on a 16 classic

John W
04-27-2004, 07:01 AM
I am installing a set of tabs on my 16 Classic. Could someone please post a pic with their tabs, the v configuration on the Donzi is confusing as per the bennett instructions.

Thanks. I do not want to drill too many holes.
JW :beer:

MOP
04-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I am installing a set of tabs on my 16 Classic. Could someone please post a pic with their tabs, the v configuration on the Donzi is confusing as per the bennett instructions.

Thanks. I do not want to drill too many holes.
JW :beer:

One of the easiest ways to get them at the right height is to jack a board up against the bottom of the boat, at the transom lay a ½" strip of wood, at the tab trailing edge put a 1" strip of wood. This is the best way to insure they run clear of the water at speed, you will still have more tab than you will ever need. As far as how far in from the chine I like them in 4-8 inches, I have mounted them way in and way out with very little change in how well the work. Some like them way in some way out.
The only caveat is not to get to close to the drive, they will cause cavitation.
Another tip at idle speeds lower the tabs to the full down position this will eliminate the deep V wag! Don't forget to raise them before hammering the throttle it a boat not a Submarine.

In gallery section under members MOP page #3 there is a shot of my install.

John W
04-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks Phil!!! That helps alot , I am on the right track!!!
I am installing a set of Victory tabs ( almost Kplanes) won them in a raffle.

Should be very effective in reducing the 16 porpoising.
JW :wavey:

txtaz
04-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Phil,
Is the deep V wag were the bow swings slowley back and forth at idle? I've noticed this in my boat and wondered about it.
Thanks,
Wes

MOP
04-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Yeah dropping the tabs works wonders in tight quarters, you can run a foot away from docked boats with no sweat. If you notice from my pic they are left down on the trailer, when I come in they are down and left that way until I go to throttle up the next time out. The only time they are up is when I am running.

Phil

MOP
04-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks Phil!!! That helps alot , I am on the right track!!!
I am installing a set of Victory tabs ( almost Kplanes) won them in a raffle.

Should be very effective in reducing the 16 porpoising.
JW :wavey:

Man that is a lot of tab for a 16, they will be extremely sensitive. I should literally jump on plane!

smokediver
04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I originally mounted mine too far in and ... after filling and painting moved them to the furthest out point which i believe is about an inch in from the chine . i no longer have that feeling of falling over on the side in turns. i mounted the height to what phil recommened. it is all a matter of preference.

CrackerJack
04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Hope these pic's help.
Mounted according to Lenco directions, they are over two years old and many hours in salt water.

DickB
04-29-2004, 10:01 PM
CrackerJack,

Where did you get that folding step on the transom?

CrackerJack
04-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Had it already installed when I purchased the 16'. :yes:

MOP
04-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Do a search "Wilcox" make the steps.

Phil

CrackerJack
04-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Did a search and found this site.
http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=29089

MOP
04-30-2004, 07:47 AM
The aluminum ones are great for the fresh water guys, the Wilcox are chrome on brass and yup about 3 times the price but last forevever.