PDA

View Full Version : GM variable steering Garu!

MOP
04-26-2004, 06:38 PM
My GMC Sub has just started having an interesting glitch, at highway speeds over 50. As you enter a curve the steering wheel kind of jogs gently about an 1-1/2 inches, no lose of control but un nerving. Does it more into left sweeping turns but at times going to a right. Any ideas what I am up against, no signs of leaks, fluid level good. Got the creeper out checked all the linkage and joints all looks Ok!

Phil

Team Hula Girl
04-26-2004, 06:59 PM
MOP,

I had a 1998 GMC Yukon that had the same issue. I believe there was a recall that provided a solution for this problem. I don't recall what they did. (it used to scare the hell out of me sometimes)

If you ever have any problems with the windshield wipers let me know. They had some issues with them not working at times. There is a quick fix for this.

Hope this helps,

J Mitch

MOP
04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks was just up on the GM complaint site, it seems to be a fairly common problem with a speed sensor. I will check with my dealer to see if it is a freebee, if not they tell you how to do it on the site.

Phil

mikev
04-28-2004, 12:39 PM
what is the deal on the wipers that happens on my 2001 silverado every now and then.

Team Hula Girl
04-29-2004, 12:08 AM
what is the deal on the wipers that happens on my 2001 silverado every now and then.

The wiring harness that connects to the wiper motor harness has an engineering design flaw. The clips on the side of each harness do not stay connected enough for the two to make good contact. After the clips start to wear down, the harness's start to slide apart. The magic fix is a ZIP TIE. The GM Service manager actually told me that. Just secure the zip tie around the harness's so that they stay connected. I hope it works.

J Mitch