PDA

View Full Version : Plug change, do I have to remove exhaust headers?

txtaz
04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey everyone,
I want to replace the plugs on a 350 Mag with Stainless Marine exhaust headers. It looks like I have to remove the exhaust headers to do this. Do I need new exhaust header gaskets when putting them back in?
Thanks,
Wes

MOP
04-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Ah you have angle plug heads, if you have the thick one piece gasket a thin coat of high temp silicone usualy works. Starting from the center bolts outward tighten in stages bring them down slow and even.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
04-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I spoke to Brownie about my Gen 111,s I would break a least 2 plugs every time I did a re and re. No space between the plug socket and the manifold. I even ground down the socket. Brownie said take a grinder to the manifold, all kinds of meat there and no where near the water jacket. Now changing the plugs is a snap...Ed

txtaz
04-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys,
I finally decided to pull the exhaust headers. Turns out to be no big deal. 5 bolts and it flops right over giving access to the plugs. It only took about 20 mins per side.
I didn't have, or could get locally, gaskets. So MadPoodle is sending a set and I will replace them when they get here. I should be ok for a little running around for a few days. I found an old high school buddy who lives in my town, which is amazing for the town size (5000), and we are heading out to the lake today to run the boat. The sun is out, 80F and catching up with an old buddy, what could beat that.
Thanks again.
Wes