PDA

View Full Version : Is This Some Kind of Scam?

Murse
04-26-2004, 09:02 AM
I have always had my boats for sale from day one. I buy low and sell high to move up to larger or better boats in this casesome one sent me an e*mail stateing that he was interested in my Donzi but wanted to know if I could arrange shipping to Southhampton UK. He never really asked about the Donzi. He wanted pics, and I only sent him one, plus the original ad picture. In every E*mail i received from him he alway was concerned about me being able to ship the boat to england. I told him usually the buyer arranges shipping but I would be glad to help. He insisted that I arrange shipping for him. He would pay the cost. He wanted to buy my boat. I knew something was up. I dont think anyone would buy a boat without seeing it (only 2 pics) and not knowing anything about it. I asked him to give me a call to talk. I let him know I was not comfortable with this deal and thought it may be a scam. In his next e*mail he let me know that he had found another boat in england and his offer had been accepted. This answered my question about this being a scam. (Yes I want to buy your boat without any info if you ship it to me, no i changed my mind I dont want to buy it if I have to give you a phone call). Has anyone herd of this scam, and what do they gain from this??? Just wondering.

Rootsy
04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
yes this scam happens all too often.. the OTHER hi-perf board has a few topics on this whole thing and a few indepth threads about people who have actually been taken to the bank by these scum...

MOP
04-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I do this type of transaction several times a year, to you fellows that are not in the Biz it can seem odd.
I just sold Rogers 22zx to a fellow in Germany, the only pics he saw were on my site.
Simple rules apply: The money should be sent to pay for the boat, these funds are normall held in escrow. Any attorney or broker can hold the funds, they do not go to the seller until the vessel is picked up by the shipper. There are several shipping agents that can take on the CHORE! It is a chore, it does take in many cases several weeks. You do not let the boat go until you have all the money inclusive of shipping fees which you should be able to nail down with the shipper. Basicly you are in the drivers seat but need to be patiant as it will take some extra time.
The bonus is most Europeans will pay full price, where as sold here they all want to yank your shorts off! If you email me I will give you shipping contacts. Then get hold of a local lawyer and ask what his fee is for holding your escrow monies.

Phil

Marlin275
04-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I saw a TV report on this same issue.
The buyer always overseas, wants to buy something big.
Sends a check for too much money.
Asks for you to send the difference to him.
This is the scam, check no good, cash is gone?
A variation on the Nigerian Scam, let us deposit a check in your account.

Simple solution, wait for any check to clear!

Sport
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree with MOP, this does happen often. I know of sereral brokers that do business like this site unseen to European buyers.

Jake
04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
I have been through this several times. I work at a car dealership. The buyer always has poor gramatical English and insists upon sending a check and giving the difference to someone else. Whenever you question them about their intentions they suddenly do not respond to emails again. That's my experience.

Jake

KISSaholic4life
04-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I receievd a 'cashiers check', drawn on a U.S. bank, from one of those Nigerian scammers last week. He wanted me to cash the check, whick was over $9,000 more than my asking price, and send that to his 'shipping agent'. After I got the check I checked with the bank that it was drawn on and the FDIC, both said it was a counterfiet check. The FDIC has hundreds and hundreds of counterfeit checks listed on their site. I advise anyone getting any kind of check in a large amount to check with the bank that it was drawn on to see if it is legit.
I have recieved a few emails in the last couple of days from that scammer, he has now asked me to send at least $5,000 NOW and the rest later. I won't be sending him anything.

gcarter
04-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I suppose the advantage to the European buyer is the rate of exchange with the incredibly cheap dollar.

George

Murse
04-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Thank you for all the input. I figured it was some sort of scam. I also know that there are ligit deals made all the time to oversea buyers like MOP said. I just want to be careful in any deals I may make. Once again thank you all. I think the best advice is to wait untill the check clears.....

2biguns
04-27-2004, 08:46 AM
My wife is an Asst. VP with a local bank. The latest form of scam is forged cashier's checks/money orders. Seller will receive a cashier's check and deliver the boat/vehicle then find out too late that it's a forgery.

Had a very nice guy sell his Ranger bass boat on a Saturday. Received a cashier's check on a state bank and assumed all ok. Signed bill of sale (no title on Alabama boats). Went to pay off note on boat on Monday. By Friday, learned that the check was forged and by then the boat is long gone.