PDA

View Full Version : Volvo steering fork sizes?

kjly63
04-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Went to install the steering fork and helmet on the new transom housing. My spline is just over an inch in diameter. The new housing appears to be about 1/4" larger.
My original drive is a 1972 270. Any chance that the transom ring is of a different model ? or did they beef it up in later years. :lookaroun

penbroke
04-25-2004, 07:15 PM
There are 2 (maybe more?) different types. The older style has a smooth straight shaft with a crossbolt thru the steering arm. The newer style has a larger shaft and is splined to the steering arm with a clamping bolt. The steering arms are different too. There are different helmets as well...

It sounds like your transom shield is made for the newer style. I don't know if there are parts available to adapt... You may have to get the correct steering fork and arm. (Common item on E-Bay.)

I have both types here and do some measuring if that might help.

Frank

kjly63
04-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey Frank.

I think the shaft I need is about 1.5 inches. Also a new steering arm. Not sure if the helmet I have will bolt up though?
Do you have these available for sale?

Kenny

kjly63
04-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Forgot to mention.....the shaft is splined as well as the steering arm with a bolt thru to tighten.

Kenny

mattyboy
04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
This is like the latest thing that doesn't fit???
so far
the new side vents a hair bigger,
the gauges a hair bigger except the tach it was a 1/4 inch too small,
the new ign switch 180 out
the new morse shifter 180 out had to be reversed for lh operation then it too was a hair bigger :rolleyes:
, this is the first I have every heard of the helmut and tiller arm being different???

I'll post pics tonite

so what transom plate do we have a 280???can you use a 280 helmut and fork on a 270 drive???

Thanks as usual guys

Matty

mattyboy
04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
okay here is a shot of the helmut and fork, we have 2 sets both are the thinner ones and the transom plates old and new
the hole is a half inch bigger on the new transom plate( now by new I mean new to us the old one has a broken ear where the hols are for the trim setting.

thanks
Matty

penbroke
04-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I did a bit o' measuring. The old non-splined fork from my 200 has a 28mm (1.102 in.) diameter shaft. The newer fork from the 270 has a diameter of 36mm (1.417 in.) on the upper end. The hole in the transom shield that the top bushing goes in is 44mm (1.732 in).

If your fork shaft is indeed just over an inch in diameter as you said in the first post than you have a fork that is different then the either of the two that I have. What was the orginal drive? 250 I suspect?

It looks like the transom shield is made for the newer 270 type fork. You could make bushings to adapt and keep your old arm as well.

The single hole in the helmet where it attaches to the drive can vary depending on the type of fastener used there. I think there are 3 different fastenings but only 2 helmets. Not sure on this.

I am putting a 270 transom shield on my boat and I expect some trouble fitting my old 200 drive to it. The whole reverse latch is different and won't work. I know reverse is over rated but....

Frank

mattyboy
04-28-2004, 06:22 AM
well we found a whole bell housing and transom plate with helmut in the larger size at a local marina cutting up an old work boat, so we are using the thicker steering arm and heavier fork but the old helmut still fits so we are good to go.

Thanks guys as usual

Matty