PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO...sweeeet

ChromeGorilla
04-23-2004, 08:41 PM
My wife and I have been shopping for a new boat for a while now..(got delayed due to her crappy job) and she was having concerns about the classics...i.e. she had only seen an 18 in person and said it looked scary to ride in (freeboard). So today we played hooky and sea trialed 2 boats. She agreed to try the 22 classic but insisted that we drive the 230sx stingray first.She saw it at the Jax boat show and "really liked it". So i said whatever. Well, drove the ray with a 496 HO and was impressed and she fell in love, but secretly I'm set on the classic. So then we took out the 22 with a 496 HO. Dude! Sweeeeeeeeeeet! I'm sold . And the wife had a huge grin when I pushed her hard (boat not wife). Now my wife is 50/50 on both boats....Me, theres only 1 choice obviously......so how do i push the wife from the darkside to the Donzi side? Maybe if I let her name the boat we can get the classic.....then again do i wanna be pimpin in my new classic named "Tropical Escape" or "Sun Bunny" :toiletpap I think not.....

Tomahawk
04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
C.G.
1. Explain to her that Sea Rays are made by the same company that makes Bayliner, in the same factory, on the same line, just different decals. Wait - forget that. You said Sting Ray and I read Sea Ray.
2. Bring her to AOTH IV so that she can see that Donzi is not just about the boat.

olredalert
04-23-2004, 09:46 PM
CG,

------Get practical and pound (metaphoricaly not literally,LOL) re-sale into her head. For one thing its the truth, and for another Its something that someone without a tremendous amount of boat knowledge can get a handle on. Believe me, right now shes thinking "what if we dont like this boating thing down the road". If you point out that with the DONZI it is possible to get out with more of your investment it really helps the persuasion.............Bill S

-----Oh ya,and press the prestige button too. Once again easy because its true!

boldts
04-23-2004, 10:00 PM
All good advice, but I have one more for ya.

Let her drive the 22 Classic with the 496HO. She'll be hooked for life! Just ask Doc. His wife Liz drove his, now he can't keep the Donzi at the dock as she is out taking all her gal friends for rides.

Only words of caution, be careful! You might get delegated to driving the tow vehicle only as your wife will volunteer to back the boat from the trailer and never let you back behind the wheel. Good luck and hope to see a "Donzi in your driveway" picture soon.

Ranman
04-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Dude,

That's like saying "What should I buy, a Chevette or a Corvette?" It's a no brainer. If you need any more persuasion, just compare the Stingray owners rallys to the Donzi owners rallys. HEre are a few examples.

Stingray Owners Rally
http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/rallies/hartsville_04_2/15.JPG

Donzi Owners Rally
http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/HometownRally2002/Donzigirls01.jpg

Stingray
http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/rallies/hartsville_04/DSC_0013.jpg

Donzi
http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/HometownRally2002/Hyatt01.jpg

Stingray
http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/rallies/wallenpaupack_02/PIC00007A.jpg

Donzi
http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/HometownRally2002/OtherPhotos/Lido%20Beach/Dsc02516.jpg

Cuda
04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Pictures are worth a thousand words, thanks for the pictoral Ranman. :biggrin.:

Cuda
04-23-2004, 10:59 PM
CG, you don't know what a boat really cost you until you try to sell it. There's no doubt the Donzi will hold it's value better. The new one's are a whole lot of $$$$$$$$$. I'd look for a great shape used one. There is no better place to look for one than on this board. If you take care of it, you will most likely be able to sell it down the road for what you paid for it. Of course the only reason you would sell is to upgrade to another Donzi. :)

ChromeGorilla
04-23-2004, 11:14 PM
My wife and I talked about getting a used one, thinkin bout initial depreciation and all, but in the end we decided that we really want a new one. I wanna baby her from the get go. I want this to be a boat that my kid grows up with and maybe 15, 20 years from now we can repower dads "old" '04 Donzi. And besides....you cant spend it when your dead! :D

Cuda
04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Have you spoken to Robert Nelems at Nelems marine? He has some new 22's. His reputation is the best.

gold-n-rod
04-24-2004, 06:34 AM
LOL, the look on that old bag's face at the Stingray meeting is a hoot. She looks like she just ate a whole lemon!! And the huge a$$ on the chick on the left in the first pic..... priceless!

I don't know your wife, but if she's the practical type, do up some depreciation charts using the values from www.nadaguides.com

If she's the fun-loving type, follow the suggestion and hook up with some other Donzi owners for some yucks.

The Stingray (not to be confused with the SeaRay mentioned in the earlier post) is an entry level boat. The 23 hull really wasn't designed to perform at the speeds afforded by the 496. You'd be paying a ton of money for that powerplant that you will never, ever see again.

DO NOT BUY THE STINGRAY. Better to take another year convincing your wife than to make that mistake. Really.

goldnrod

Bad-Tat
04-24-2004, 07:06 AM
CG,
Better than waiting for AOTH come up to Tom's Bait Shack at Lanier on the 2nd of May. Couple of 22' there for you to ride in as well as some very persuasive SO's that can convince your wife why Donzi's are better.

ChromeGorilla
04-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the invite but I'm gonna be in NY for the first 2 weeks of May. Gonna visit family and go to my sisters college graduation and mothers day. And to answer Cuda's question yes I have been in touch with Robert Nelem. Very nice fella. Was very close to buying the black and honey 22 he has but my wifes job threw a little hiccup into the plans. But it now seems honkey dory with her job so I'm lookin at mid may when we would like to buy the classic.......And as I'm typing my wife has now givin the Classic the nod...whew war avoided on the home front!!!!! Thanks for your input everyone.

Ranman
04-25-2004, 01:52 AM
I hope my pics helped. :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you are going ot buy a nw Donzi. Robert Nelems (Magicfloat) is to only choice in my eyes.

Fish boy
04-25-2004, 05:47 AM
Cg,
I think i remember seeing pictures of your wife in the donzi girls section... She is way too hot to be seen in anything but a Donzi! A girl's gotta protect he reputation ya know.. LOL Good luck. :D :D :D

Fish

Dr. Dan
04-25-2004, 07:53 AM
:spongebob Randy....this has to be one of your best responses since the great "Shorts Incident"....I love analogies and I love to prove a point by exagerating a point!

Chrome....I would be happy to discuss any specific questions or concerns you or your Bride have with the 22 Classic, just PM me your numbers or questions.

I would also like to suggest an even less tangible benefit of owning a Donzi. That is the awesome Family & Commraderie that you will have where ever you go....this "Donzi Registry" Site is a phenomenon of its own. :rolleyes:

Many of us have had personal Health issues, Job related issues, and even relocation to a new area in the States it allows you to reach out and ask your extended Family for help and advice...

Liz and I have made without question some of the Best & Strongest lifelong bonds with so many people here it is hard to imagine....and I really mean we feel like Family....the Registry has provided an outlet that is a pleasant diversion from our normal Peer Group and or Work related freinds....

I realize your schedule is fairly rigid...and hers is not so flexible because of her job...but eventually you should be able to coordinate attending a Donzi Event. Meet as many people as you can...take in the boats and witness the many and varied Boats and Attitudes you will find among this crowd.. :wink:

I am very excited for you to have the opportunity to start fresh an purchase new...or lightly used 22 Classic...the nice thing is that a clean used boat can be just as awesome as a new one...so don't paint yourselves into a "gotta buy new corner" getting a clean used Classic is nothing to be embarassed about....I know I am not ashamed to own mine and its a 1993!!!!

Keep this in mind...the largest cost of any boat is not the payment....it is your time for the upkeep and care & maintenance....! This never ends...the main difference you will observe over the years is there are owners who take good care of their boats...and there are owners who take great care of their boats :wavey:

When its new it will take mostly just cleaning and upkeep...as it ages and has some hours on it...it will be up to you to be proactive with the maintenance....its half the fun...

Mine sheared some Motor Mount Bolts last year and I decided to replace it with new Bolts ...they just happen to come in a new HP500! :D

Good Luck

Doc ;)

gcarter
04-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Amen, Dr. Dan!
Buy used, make it like new, personalize it. :biggrin:
Save the difference.

George....only bought two new vehicles in my entire life :idea: