PDA

View Full Version : Old rub rails!

MOP
04-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Finished pulling my rub rail today, noticed an interesting thing. From mid ship forward the only thing holding the hull to deck screws was the rub rail. Just about every screw forward had backed out and left pronounced marks on the inside of the rub rail. For those of you with old boats like mine it may be a good idea to pull the rail and check the screws. I removed every screw and shot silcone in the holes and reset them, a few needed one size up or sistering. I have seen this on big boats also, one of the worst are the 46-48 Vikings, we have had several pop the front deck loose from the hull in bad seas.

Phil

1996Z15
04-22-2004, 08:16 PM
That sounds like a good tip. BTW, out of curiousity, how much does it typically cost to replace the rubrail on, say, a 20' Donzi?

MOP
04-22-2004, 09:14 PM
I am about to find out the $$, I am meeting with my local jobber at his ware house to look at rails. I am hoping he has a match for the Donzi rail if not he has to do an order. I will also do a check around the net, there may be better prices floating around.

Phil

Islander
04-22-2004, 09:55 PM
I just replaced the rubrail on a 21 and the materials were around $40 per 12' section. It's made by Taco Metals.
West Marine has it, the correct one is style #1

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=6544

You might find it cheaper elsewhere. You'll need 5 altogether. If you have somone install it, it should take no more than a couple of hours.