PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Pumps

jhstevens
04-21-2004, 08:29 PM
The time has come to change the motor oil in my classic and I no longer want to pay to have it done. I found two pumps on west marine's website that look pretty decent. However, the reviews on both are misleading. Some feel they work great. While others feel they aren't worth the packaging they came in. Does anyone have experience with either one of these pumps? Or is there another pump that you like? I'm looking to spend around $50 and was thinking that a hand pump might be the best in that range.
Thanks
Jim

gcarter
04-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Have you considered one of the permanent drain hoses you can run out the transom drain hole? That is something I've been considering.

George

KRAVEN
04-21-2004, 08:38 PM
I own the blue metal on this was my first year to change oil myself.It works very well as long as the oil is warm,however it is slow.

Sam
04-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Two options as far as I'm concerned, add the oil pan drain hose or buy an electric oil change system. The manual systems are slow when they work and they don't last. I have the drain hose on the Donzi, it works great. For the mother ship I use the electric pump mounted to a five gallon bucket. I have done countless changes with that system over the past five years. Just my two cents.

Sam

Trueser
04-21-2004, 09:59 PM
DON'T USE THE SECOND ONE. IT DOESNT LAST. OMC MAKES A GREAT ONE THAT WORKS IN A DRILL.

Trueser

Jamesbon
04-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Only one's I've experienced have a "Jabsco" type pump mounted "atop" of a "5 gallon" bucket and "suck" through the dipstick. Works great! Especially compared to draining directly into the bilge and cleaning thereafter :frown: Guess how I know that :angryfire

McGary911
04-22-2004, 12:23 AM
I have the Tempo on the left. Got it at West Marine on sale for $35 or so. Works great. I have even used it on cold oil, and it did a good job. Pump it up to create a vacuum, let it sit for 10 minutes, and youre good. I use it on the donzi and on the big boat 2 engines\v drives\transmissions. The only complaint i had is that it only holds 5 quarts, i think. This means you have to make 2 trips to the dump tank for the average v8.....I'd certainly add the pan train\tube, but with my TRS and the transmission\big block combo, I'd almost have to pull the engine to set it up.

daboys
04-22-2004, 05:07 AM
;) I found at the floowing address - quick delivery, great service, used the pump once and worked great. Had it installed nder the hatch but opted not to hard wire instead added batery jumpers to the end so I attach to the battery when needed.

http://www.imtra.com/index.cfm?fa=subcategory&categoryId=6&brandId=26&subcategoryId=99 :moped:

MR.MAGIC
04-22-2004, 06:04 AM
drain hose out the transom plug works great and not much money

Woodsy
04-22-2004, 06:51 AM
I use the Tempo.... it works pretty good, alittle slow, but that just gives ya time to spin the filter off. It does only hold 5 QTS, so you have to stop & empty & restart. Don't overfill it, there is a seal on the bottom that lets go when its overfilled.... discovered that the hard way....

Woodsy Von Outboard... no more engine oil changes for me!!!

MOP
04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
A nice permanent setup that I have done in the past is to use a pump transom mounted. Routed to a through hull fitting high on the transom. I tapped the discharge hole of the fitting to accept a short pipe nipple with a hose clamped to it to screw in when needed. You can find S/S pipe plugs that to close hole when not in use it can be polished for a nice clean look it is "Simple and -0- mess!"

MOP
04-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Just called my local supplier about the Quick Drain pumps mentioned above, he has be selling them awhile with no returns. For the price on the imtra site it is a No Brainer.

Walt. H.
04-24-2004, 01:26 AM
I prefer to drain the oil from the engine pan the old fashion way which insures all the old gruddy oil and what ever else, all drains into my short drain pan to the very last drop. But here are the two other choices you can choose from.

1- http://www.amarket.com/imd042c.htm

or this "home brew vacuum pump" that is cheaper then the frustrating hand pump!

2- Here's a real cheap but yet effective way to make your own vacum pump for changing your oil. you will need to buy a half gallon or gallon of something in a glass container. go to your local parts store and buy about 5' 1/4" vacum hose, 3' 1/4" metal brake line (this fits down the dipstick tube nicely) and about 10' 3/8 fuel line, drill two holes in the bottle cap to accomidate the two different size hoses, stick the hoses through the cap about an inch or two, conect the 1/4" rubber line to the metal brake line and stick the metal brake line down the dipstick tube. screw the cap onto the bottle. now pull your truck or car up next to the boat and pop the hood. find a 3/8" vacum line that goes to your intake manifold and pull it off and plug it, now plug in the 3/8" vacum line from your bottle to the vacum source on your car or truck then start the engine and watch the bottle fill up with your old boat motor oil.

Have a Happy lubricating time! :yes: :rolleyes:

Walt :wavey: