PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dan, this is all your fault!

gcarter
04-21-2004, 07:49 PM
After Dr. Dan posted the pictures of his engine compartment after he had painted it with white bilgecoat, I thought,"I can do that!".
Well, if you've owned a mid 80's Donzi, the inside of the hull isn't finished like the current production boats. Probably the market as a whole has demanded a higher level of finish. Since this is just another part of a restoration project, I decided to improve the apearance of my engine compartment. So I started by grinding the entire surface of the compartment with 7" and 4 1/4" grinders, smoothing the 'glass and removing all the old gray bilgecoat. I didn't do a lot to the underside of the deck, just removed the large lumps.
The boats of this period had no firewall and the entire "tub" was layed up in unidirectional roving, so that when you looked into the engine compartment at the rear of the back seat it had a rather odd "ribbed" apearance, so I filled it after grinding it. I didn't fill any of the rest of it unles by grinding, I found some voids.
So the pictures were taken after two coats of Dr. Dans Amazing White Bilgecoat, Snake Oil, and Elixer, and also after sanding the surface with my DA and some 220 paper and just before the last coat.
Thank you Dr. Dan! :wavey: :yippie:

George... If you look away too quick, it'll run!

Dr. Dan
04-22-2004, 12:19 AM
:spongebob George...It seems we see more pics of the inner cavities of your little project than we do the whole project....Good Luck...........looks like some progress!

I just got back from a 5.5 hour Drive Home (now 1:15am) from New York....rumor had it the the Blue Beast got bolted in last weekend while I was out of town...I made it 4 days...then I just had to see it for myself... :cistineb: and it is in there...

I'll post some Pics once I recover..tomorrow...under the Blue Pill Topic...

:beer: Doc

gcarter
04-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks Dr. Dan!
There's a rumor around here that there will soon be things inside there too. :propeller
Congratulations on your install. I'm looking forward to seeing pics.

George

RickR
04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
gcarter
I also wish DR Dan had NOT posted his bilge pics :yes:
I've been in the engine compartment sanding and painting for a week now :biggrin:
Painting done/ now diamond plate. Man that stuff gets HOT when you cut it on a table saw!

Dr Dan and Gcarter thanks for the help! Sanded with a random orbit Bosch w/vacuum attachment and rolled and tipped with Interlux White Bilge Coat.

BTW: I learned the lesson about tipping immediately after rolling :idea:
pics soon

gcarter
04-22-2004, 06:36 PM
I gave up trying to roll on vertical surfaces. Even w/sponge roller, it generates air bubbles for lack of a better explanation. So brushing is what I ended up doing anyway. I DOES like to run! Quantity control is very important, and overhead it gets pretty interesting. If it finds a low spot, it'll collect there and drip.
I have a lot more going on simultaneously in that same area; significant stringer repair, and the transverse frame in front of the engine (or offshore mount) is being replaced.
So more pictures soon.

George

Dr. Dan
04-22-2004, 09:08 PM
:cool!: If I am doing some serious painting...I place a nice Big Fan....up above the area, and I find it helps to tac up the paint quicker too. :bighug: Although you have to watch out for the occassional bug or skeeto, but it helps to breathe the fresh air too.

:pimp: I use a dense cell sponge small diameter roller, about an 1 1/2" by maybe 6", I use a short extension pole to reach the tough areas.....

:smash: The brushes:...I use a Midget Brush to get to the tight areas, they are very cool about 4" to 5" long max, it can fit in the palm of your hand. Then I use a finer China Bristle Angled Brush...for the Truly Broad Strokes...

The White Interlux cleans up extremely well, and even better, if ya ding it or scuff it...it touches up very well.

Doc...Da Vinci :cool:

Donzi Di
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey - it's not that bad of a project sanding and painting the bilge. I've done it.

Of course, I will admit - we had the deck off the boat completely and it was warm and sunny outside when we did it.

And George - I totally agree with you. The roller just did not do the job properly. I ended up using a small 1" brush to do the painting.

By the way, the boat I am speaking of is the 16' that Bertram Boy posted pics of at some point.

Di

BERTRAM BOY
04-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Poodle -

You sure are talking alot of smack for a guy who doesn't do ANY of his own work...

BERTRAM BOY :smile: :smile: :smile:

RickR
04-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Bertram Boy :yes: