PDA

View Full Version : 1988 22' classic

metraman
04-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Is there much hull difference in the 1988 classic and the 1995 model. Anything that was undesirable in the early years?

Rodger
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
The 88 has flat chines. I think by 95, the 22's have reverse chines. I don't know how the reverse chine 22's ride compared the the older style. I imagine the reverse chine prevents the boat from leaning so much in the turns. The reverse chine might also add a little speed.

Genuine Risk
04-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Can you explain further what a " flat chine " and " reverse chine " is ? I've never heard that reference before. Thanks.

Tim

Rodger
04-22-2004, 08:29 AM
The chine is the outermost part of the running surface of the hull where the bottom of the boat meets the sides. On the older 22's this surface is flat and about 2 inches wide. The rest of the bottom, with the exception of the strakes, is 24 degrees. On the newer 22's, the chine surface actually angles downward. There are many brands of boats that are using the reverse chine design now.

Woodsy
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
metra...

Give me a call... interested in how you made out. I was at a Donzi wedding, got a little tipsy and I lost your number. 978-502-5465 Whats the power pkg on the 88 you are lookin at?

Woodsy Von Outboard

metraman
04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
What do you think? It has 50 HR on the rebuild.
Barry

Dr. Dan
04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
:cool!: Get it checked for Compression and Leakdown if need be...Run it ...then buy it...we need more Red Heads! :smileybo:

Doc :cool:

MOP
04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Compression and leak down are important but the most important bar none is an oil sample. The only problem is having a few hours on the oil to get a proper sample. But even on fairly fresh oil any glaring problem will show in the analysis.

Phil

Tomahawk
04-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Metraman - that is no ordinary 22 Classic. This one is "special." Looks like Greg K's Testarosa. Whatever, grab it and run.

Dr. Dan
04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Exactly Tom...its only an engine...you can always take a "Blue Pill" and it will be cured....besides...over analyzing is overrated, especially in spontaneous purchases!

:pimp: Doc

Woodsy
04-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Barry...

Thats a pretty rare boat there... A Testarossa or "RedHead". Definitely a score! Have the boat SURVEYED! Complete with oil sample. Its cheap insurance. Its nice to see reheads... beautiful redheads are rare....

Woodsy Von Outboard... in trouble with Blondy again!

metraman
04-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Sure am feeling better about this purchase.

MOP
04-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Not to raise the Hackles, I surveyed for 6 years, I still will do stuff for old customers and friends. I not only oil sample but also bore scope many of the motors. My little Mouse motor will have a fair amount of $$$ in it and it will have regular checks the first at 10 hours then at each season end. I have gotten very good compression readings on several motors that were actually badly scored and had re-seated. No matter how deep ones pockets are they do not need the expense or worse the down time during the season. Very few will go for the expense of bore scoping, but oil sampling tells more than one would think and is extremely cheap. Red Line and Amsoil have oil regular sampling as part of there program. Yeah and we Boys fight going to the Doctor also!

Phil

RedDog
04-28-2004, 08:46 AM
metraman - sounds like congratulations are in order. Beautiful boat!!!

roadtrip se
04-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Gorgeous boat. Now bring her to some events and show her off!

Congrats,

Todd

Dr. Dan
04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
:cool: Really Nice Boat....So MOP & Others...what is the "Proper Question or Tests To Request" when getting Oil Tested? Do most Marine Facilities send these out or do ya just mail in a sample? :spongebob

Doc

MOP
04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Dan my 2 cents!

Actually my first is a cylinder drop check, this is done with a well warmed engine in neutral a exactly 1000 rpm with the hand tach set to the low scale. One cylinder at a time is killed either by a tester that will do it or by pulling one wire at a time. The tach should read at most 1 needle width or two apart from the rest, much more has you looking deeper. A compression test will show the same cylinder being off, almost all OEM's allow 25% between cylinders. 20% or below is better in my book. Just a note the 25% is on 4 cycle, 15% in 2 cycle gas engines
An oil sample would be next, the results usually come back in 5-7 days.
Bore scoping I reserve for high end stuff unless requested. Big dollar gas and larger diesels are a must to keep track of.
Once you own it do an oil sample at at regular intervals, this will establish a base line. Any change in oil type or brand should be reported so the lab can figure that in.

slick
04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Red, Red, Peckerhead rather be.......................... :bonk: sorry.....................got carried away :D :D :D :D :D
Great lookin 22 Classic, check out the external steering, great find, truely a classic... :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat:
Bring it to Lake Cumberland AOTH Me likey Red .. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o .... :wink: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: