PDA

View Full Version : 496 Mag question

Barry Phillips
04-20-2004, 04:06 PM
I started setting up my 22 this past weekend when I noticed coolant in the bilge under the motor. Upon checking the exspansion tank I noticed it was low. The Mercruiser guy who services my boat thinks the O-ring between the tank and the motor may have hardened up over the winter therefore loseing the coolant. I called a service rep. for Mercruiser and he suggested I top it off and run it and keep an eye on it. He logged the complaint and assured me they would stand behind there product, because the warranty is up in May. Has any 496 owners living in the North East had the same issue. Mercruiser wants me to take note of how much leaked out. There is currently no recall for this proplem.

cigarette30
04-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Can't recall if there was a tread here ("The Registry" - the best site), or on the "Offshore Only" site, but there has been quite a similar history with your problem. I believe it is centered around the O-ring, and a "retrofit" has been made, do a search, and I think it would address your problem. If I can help find the tread let me know.