PDA

View Full Version : SONICS are OUT!

fasttrucker
04-20-2004, 03:52 PM
The big sonic dealers here on the chesapeake bay are selling out.Tomes Landing is going to sell PowerQuest.I was over to check out the rack storage.Big money,more then 1 grand plus over jackson marine price.Anyway sonic is history.

rchevelle71
04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
The big sonic dealers here on the chesapeake bay are selling out.Tomes Landing is going to sell PowerQuest.I was over to check out the rack storage.Big money,more then 1 grand plus over jackson marine price.Anyway sonic is history.

Not sure if it made it to this Board or not, but there has been a lot of talk around Sonic Lately. They have joined forces with Dakota Boats, and formed First derivative Technologies. They are moving out of their factory here in Hollywood(My shop is a few buildings down from theirs on 29'th.), and moving in with Dakota up in jupiter. Doller Offshore Marine is Moving into the old Sonic Factory, and there will be a HUGE showroom there for Sonic, Dakota, And Dollers used Boats, also repairs will remain at the old Factory. I was at the Factory Saturday Afternoon, and met with Mindi Doller, She is very excited about the move, there were quite a few Sonics, as well as Dakota's in the shop. I am just glad to have them in my back yard. They build a VERY solid boat, not the fastest due to its weight, but lets wait and see what the merger does for designs, and also the weight savings of the new fx technology, if I were looking for a performance cruiser, SONIC would be my first choice!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

fasttrucker
05-14-2004, 10:25 AM
I have freinds with a 31 sonic,I think its a 2002?Anyway the bottom chipped up.Bubbles in the fiberglass.NO dealers here on the bay anymore.Offshore Performance in the kent narrows was their dealer, he wouldnt/couldnt help them.If you ask me they are bad boats.Maybe thats why they sold out/chapter 11?13?

Steven Cohn
05-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Fast,
I've never owned or boarded a Sonic. However, they've been around for a quite awhile and there a lot of them out there. Of course, one could argue that there are a lot of Bayliners. I say you get what you pay for. If you want custom you'll pay dearly, but mass production has a place, too. If you look at the per-use or factor enjoyment Sonic may be a good boat.
FRP layup is a mixture of art, science, with a little luck thrown into the catalyst. Blistering can occur (and does) to any brand hull (even customs). If the hull lay-up occured on an exceptionally humid day, if the resin or catalyst was out of spec. from the manufacturer, if ...
It was disheartening the day Hartley Marine in Edgewater, MD, got out of the Donzi business. They abandoned Donzi for simulare reasons Sonic dealerships closed, in Maryland. In the end, doesn't it come down to the bottom line, profit?

olemissalum
05-14-2004, 05:53 PM
First I have heard of Sonic and poor quality. While the boats may be very generic in looks, the hulls are supposed to be rock solid. They have a great reputation on the other offshore websites. Interesting :confused: :confused:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-18-2004, 07:43 PM
My input on Sonic:
Last month we had a 26 join the HRPA, very pretty, huge cuddy etc... very nice boat.
Stock to stock. not as fast as a 26ZX Donzi. But overall very nice boat and we shopped the 31's, allot of boat for the money.
My latest impressive boat has been our newest 32 Sunsation Dominator, WOW!
Bryan

(pool side, blown upper)

Rootsy
05-25-2004, 07:53 PM
My input on Sonic:
Last month we had a 26 join the HRPA, very pretty, huge cuddy etc... very nice boat.
Stock to stock. not as fast as a 26ZX Donzi. But overall very nice boat and we shopped the 31's, allot of boat for the money.
My latest impressive boat has been our newest 32 Sunsation Dominator, WOW!
Bryan

(pool side, blown upper)

I feel your pain...

JR

marcdups
06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
well this week end I had an encouter with a Sonic, granted I do not know the specs on her but on plane and head to head for more than 2 miles I ate it up and literally lost her, with my new to me 18, 2 people and full gas, no GPS specs, 350 mag turning a well abused 23 mirage plus, no tabs and stock engine, no RPM either as I believe it is way off, like idle is 150 RPM'S, but only owned her a week and only fixed the essentials, loved it though, my match is comming, LOL.