PDA

View Full Version : Need engine upgrade tips/ideas. BBC !! Bravo

G - FORCE 88
04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Guys,
It's been a long time. I know my boat is for sale, but until it sells I will continue to enjoy it. I would like to do some engine work, that will give me good gains without going over my head. The motor is a bone stock 1997 Merc 454 with 385 hp/ Bravo 1 drive (1.5 gear) I would like to get the boat into the 70's maybe more, if possible. I spin 2 props on my 22 Classic. A 24p Bravo 1 that is labbed and a 25p mirage that has been reworked not labbed. Straight through exhaust. STOCK STOCK STOCK. Only 268 hrs. I run in the upper 68-69 mph range with the 25p. Would cams and carbs be the way to go? I also want to make the boat louder.HEHEHE piss of the neighborhood. :-). Please I am open to any suggestion. BLower would be cool. $$$$ is of the importance. There is a budget like 2500-3000. Please be gentle. :rolleyes:
Thanks Guys
Jon G
Miami, FL
22 Classic
Still FOR SALE.

Woodsy
04-19-2004, 10:06 PM
IMCO Shorty.... Leave the motor alone! I assume its injected? You can pick a used one up for about $2500 or so, and it adds about 4-5mph, and a neat WOW factor...

Woodsy Von Outboard

G - FORCE 88
04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
That is a negative. I have a carb model. wish it were a fuelie. Would a prop change be necessary with the IMCO shortie? Tab changes? Steering changes?
thanks

Woodsy
04-20-2004, 06:51 AM
G...

Ya, you'll be changing the prop... prob bump it up a couple of inches in pitch. You will not have to do anything to the rest of the boat, steering, tabs etc...

You could prob swap out your muffled tips for non-muffled ones, but if the boat is for sale I wouldn't bother. Alot of places have noise police and that could hinder selling the boat.

Woodsy Von Outboard

Hilsinger Motorsports
04-21-2004, 11:21 AM
If you are looking for just 100-200 rpm gain for little cost, pick up a K&N air filter (get the uscg approved one incase the coasties stop you....ofcourse, it is no different than an auto filter, but costs another $30) and also put a cross over on the motor in place of the water pump. That should get you a few 100 rpm and maybe a mph or 2

I have tested the K&N filter myself and on back to back to back to back (you get the point :wink: ) runs I picked up 75 rpm and almost 1 mph with the filter on as opposed to an open carb. I was pretty impressed.

This is on a 520hp bbc, Holley 850 carb.

Just my .02 without getting into much $. You could do them both for probably around $200 or so.

PS...if you want to put exhaust on it, you will not gain much with only a 385 hp motor. Maybe 100 rpm or so. With bigger power it is a must however. For your application, that will not net you much gain for the cost.

Good luck, have fun

fasttrucker
04-21-2004, 01:21 PM
It costs a lot of money to add the crane cam.When I did my 502 I ended up completly redoin everything decked the block,CNC the crank,timin gear/chain,pushrods,keepers,valve job,heads...Man its a big can of worms and once you open it.You have to do it right.So now I have a completely new motor that has over 500hp.But I would never get the money back out if I was to sell.

gero1
04-23-2004, 07:11 AM
was going to bb my vette but sold it, think i have a set of bb square port heads out in the shop somewhere, they might help