PDA

View Full Version : Ford Exhaust Options?

Daryl
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Hello there, this is my first post anywhere on the internet. I value the information I have read here and now I have a question of my own.

I have a 1966 18' classic tripple hatch with a 289 ford small block. I have to replace the exhaust manifold this year. I currently have the log style Gelnwood manifold and was wondering if that is the only option or if there is a center riser style manifold that might work. I measure about 14" of clearance from the bottom of the exhaust port to the hatch. The guy at CP performance was guessing that I need 16-18" of clearance for their center riser manifold. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Daryl

smoothie
04-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Welcome aboard Daryl,you have a fine boat in your hands take good care of it,as far as the exhaust goes keep in mind your exhaust holes thru the transum are lower with the logs so you will have to do some custom plumbing with the center risers to get down there.

MOP
04-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Osco makes a decent cast iron center riser setup, that fit in my 16 with about 3/4" between them and the hatch. They will add a bit of extra weight aft over the aluminum.

Phil

anotherScott
04-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Check out Eddie Marine, I bought a pair of Kodiak aluminum center rise manifolds with stainless steel risers for my 1975 18' with a 351.

Scott

MOP
04-19-2004, 10:11 PM
You have a longer hose from the center rise setups that makes it fairly easy to get to the tips, Shields make some fairly flexable stuff.

PS the Kodiaks are real nice!

Daryl
04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
I've attached a couple of photos for you all to see what I have now. The interceptor manifolds came stock from Donzi. The motor was origionaly a 260. I replaced them with the Glenwood manifolds when I reworked the motor into the 289 that it is today (did that about 1970). I had to build a 45 degree fitting to put between the riser and the manifold to make it all fit. It has rusted out (should have made it out of stainless). It's not a very clean system. It would be nice to clean it up a bit.

Any idea on the overall height of the Osco system you refered to MOP?

MOP
04-19-2004, 11:18 PM
I will try to check it tomorrow if possible.

Phil

MOP
04-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Check the site below, they now have aluminum and iron, they are not high and have the same slope down risers that I use. I would think if they fit a 16 they should fit an 18.

http://www.i-boatsmarine.com/cat41_1.htm

smoothie
04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Ok now I see whats going on here,man how far apart are your exhaust tips?no wonder you want something different,heres a couple links to help ya with the plumbing.
rubber (http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFSI&Category_Code=RHC)

aluminized (http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFSI&Category_Code=EE)

BillG
04-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Same boat with the same problem. You can run PCM with the 31/2 in. riser,or the CP Performance aluminum with the 4 in. stainless riser. I was running the PCMs, but I don't like iron manifolds. I changed back to aluminum with the CP Preformance ones. My aluminum manifolds lasted three times as long in salt water as the iron ones did. My boat sits in the water all summer. I do flush between runs though.

Just my .02 cents

Bill G

Forrest
04-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Check out Eddie Marine, I bought a pair of Kodiak aluminum center rise manifolds with stainless steel risers for my 1975 18' with a 351.

Scott

I agree. Kodiak is the best for Ford small blocks.

MOP
04-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Daryl the distance between the attaching bolt centers at the ports to the top of the riser is 13-3/4 inches. If your pockets are deep go for the Kodiaks, if not the new Osco Alum may be just fine. A center rise will be an improvement no matter which.

Phil

Daryl
04-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! Those pumbing accesory links will come in handy I'm sure. I'm not finding much information on the Kodiak Manifolds on a google search. Phil, sounds like the Osco set up might jussst fit. I called CP Performance and their Harding Marine manifolds are out of stock so they can't measure them for me. Bill G did you have any clearance problems with those? I wonder how similar our boats are? Also I was wondering about spark plug access with those manifolds...

The exhaust ports are about 43" on center. I've attached a photo... Or not? I'm having some trouble here today :confused:

Thanks again everyone.

Daryl

Rodger
04-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Would you be interested in replacing your manifolds with the original Interceptor type that I think you originally had? I have a pair that is not rotted out that I was thinking of selling.

MOP
04-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Daryl open the hatch, lay a straight edge across from front to rear and measure down to the manifold block bolt holes to the straight edge that will give you a guide line.

Phil

Oscos will run about 450-500 tha Kodiaks run about 1,200.

BillG
04-21-2004, 08:57 AM
I had to move the holes in the transom, but the height was not a problem. Mine is a '66 triple hatch 18.

Bill G