PDA

View Full Version : Got the New Motor this weekend

GKricheldorf
04-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Me and my buddy picked up the new remanufactured motor this weekend.

My intake manifold is off my old engine and does not fit the new one. Can i remove the metal pan off the bottom of the intake? The new motor has one in it all ready.

GKricheldorf
04-19-2004, 09:07 AM
opps - forgot the pictures - still working on the first cup of coffee.

MOP
04-19-2004, 09:51 AM
I may be wrong but I think that is just a crud tray for shipping, I would yank it out, it can't serve any purpose once the manifold is on. The tin box on your manifold is there to keep the oil off ther hot surface caused by the exhaust transfer port that heats the manifold. I usualy block that passage to keep the manifold cooler.

Phil

olredalert
04-19-2004, 10:01 AM
------Buzilla will chime in here Im sure,but the short answer would be that both metal pans do the same thing. They keep the fuel charge a bit cooler on the way to the cylinders. With that said I would guess the big one would do a better job.
------Yes, you can remove the one riveted to the manifold if the two collide. If you choose to use the one on the intake, you will need to take it off anyway to correctly clean all that cast-iron up. And if you reuse the riveted one, dont reuse the rivets. When they are used once thier grip is somewhat diminished. Sheet-metal screws with lock-tight will suffice. You dont want anything unwanted dropping into the valley
------I guess, unless there is something I dont know, I would choose the bigger of the two. Some short answer, Huh!...................Bill S

------MOP snuck in there on me and after looking closer at the pan I believe I agree with him! I have never bought a crate motor and never seen one of these trays. Thanks Phil! My comments abot the riveted tray stand....WOB(wrong ol Bill)..Bill S

BUIZILLA
04-19-2004, 10:15 AM
I like the looks of that drop in tray. If it was me, I would remove the exisitng tin plate from underneath the intake now, clean up the underside of the intake, and put it all together. Watch where the intake gaskets meet, near the tangs on the tray, so it doesn't interfere with the gasket itself. I would also drill four 5/8" holes down the middle of the tray to allow oil to drain, and not puddle on top of the tray, if in fact any would get there.

J :idea:

mikev
04-19-2004, 10:59 AM
That sure looks like a shipping tray to me. Look closely at the little tabs sticking up where the intake bolts to the head. you would never get a seal between your heads and intakes with those there.

GKricheldorf
04-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Now i was kind of wondering that myself. I really didn't give it much thought because i was so excited :propeller to get the motor. Now it does have a cutout for the distributor shaft.

BUIZILLA
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
If it has the cutout for a distributor, then it's NOT a shipping tray. Do what you want.. :stan:

J

Walt. H.
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I hate to throw more into the mix guy's, but i've been running one of those bigger oil deflectors in my big block L-88 race motor since 1972. At one point they we're not available and everyone cried who knew there value. That longer pan does a better job of keeping hot oil splashing off the bottom of your intake manifold then the short rivited one does on the manifold itself. All you do is notch the intake gasket around those metal tabs where they lay against the cyl head intake gasket surface. Moroso Performance and Mr, Gasket use to make a repro of that same G.M. performance oil baffle as well yr's ago.
But if you don't want to use it send it my way and i'll gladly take it off your hands! I'll even be so gracious as to pay for
the shipping. :yes: :biggrin:

Walt :wavey:

MOP
04-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks Walt, I agree with Jim the idea of the bigger tray is a good one. I would still block the passages, takes a little longer to warm up just like Air Gaps but will run better keeping the charge even cooler.

Phil

GKricheldorf
04-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Well i ground off the rivets holding the pan on the intake manifold last night to see of the manifold would fit with that bigger drop in pan. It didn't.... I kind of like the idea of having the bigger pan in there from your posts. Also since this is a Gen V motor it appears to have roller lifters and wider push rods. Are roller lifters standard on a Gen V ?

Well my intake will not fit with the pan attached to the bottom of it and with the drop in pan removed. There is another cover bolted on in the bottom of the intake that covers the bottom.

Does anyone have a 454 Gen V intake manifold not bolted on? Can you post a picture of the bottom? I'm thinking i just might have to get a different intake manifold.