PDA

View Full Version : Another Insurance Question - Wranglers

RedDog
04-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Since my oldest son hit 16, I haven't seen much of him or my Accord Coupe (V-6 and hot for a rice burner). So I just bought an older ('95) Wrangler. Is it for me or for him? Great condition and low miles for the year (89K). But insurance is killer. I am listing me as primary on the Wrangler and son as primary on the Honda. I'm having to go with liability only on Wrangler - full coverage would be about 1700 per year or about 1/3 of what I paid for it. Seems like a risk I am willing to take unless I can find cheaper coverage. Any suggestions other than getting rid of it?

What is the "self insurance" thresold?

jeepfan99
04-19-2004, 08:12 AM
1700 sounds extremely expensive. I've had a 99 Wrangler for 5 and 1/2 years and never paid more than $1100 (even when I was 22) and I live in NY. I now have an 04 Grand Cherokee and the 99 wrangler and still only pay $1100. The Grand has full coverage but the wrangler has the bear minimum. I have GEICO with one claim in the last 4 years. I would consider shopping around.

MOP
04-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Bonnie has a 97 Wrangler, our rates kept going up so I asked the broker what was going on. He said that way to many were getting stolen, he said what other vehicle can you rip the canvas doors open on. Our insurance near doubled over about 3 years so I dumped the Wrangler and she bought an Audi, at twice the value it was $300 cheaper.

Phil