PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 24?

Mac
04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Anyone have any information on a Bertram 24'? They were made for two years, '70 and '71 24' long with a 8' beam. Either single or twin engines. I have some origional brochures and spec sheets. I found one three years ago and have had it since, it is in need of a total restoration. It has some very unique features.

Mac
04-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Here are some pictures.

olredalert
04-18-2004, 01:13 PM
-----Dont know a tremendous amount about this model. Am fairly up on Bertram Baron 28s, however. I do know one thing; There is someone who comes on this board who wants one of these. Just cant remember who.............Bill S

Mac
04-18-2004, 04:50 PM
I have spoken to a few people at Bertram about it, the people there now do not have much information on the early small boats, one of them said they thought only 12 were ever produced. I have a few books as well and this model is never mentioned. Here is a picture of the engine compartment, this one had twin mercury six cylinder's. The drives are 26" on center so replacement choices are very limited.

gcarter
04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Has anybody marinized any of the newer GM inline six DOHC/ 4 valve engines yet? That might be a good application!

George

PS...Or a BMW

Donzi Dreaming
04-18-2004, 06:58 PM
How about a pair of these:

Volvo Diesel DP (http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/powerforleisureboats/diesel_sterndrive/d6-310_dpr/)

MOP
04-18-2004, 09:12 PM
What about the 240 Yanmars they are not to bad, they push an 11,000 32 Stamas at 30kts light.

gcarter
04-18-2004, 09:20 PM
I thought about those myself...but I think they might be too wide.

George

BERTRAM BOY
04-18-2004, 09:31 PM
It was Me looking for one, and I'm still looking for one......and I'm just about finished with one project looking for another.
If you are thinking about selling her, I'm very interested.
From what I heard, there were about 47 built.

BERTRAM BOY

Mac
04-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I think it is going to have to be gas, the cost of a pair of small diesels is too much for me. So far it looks like maybe the 3.0Ls might be my only choice. The factory brochure I have says it will do 48MPH with the twin 165HP Mercruisers it origionally came with. I bet the 3.0L would be pretty close to that as they are rated at the prop now and slightly lighter.

Morgan's Cloud
04-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Wow .. I've been wondering how long it would be before I saw one of these little beauties !

Congratulations on a really neat boat MAC.

I remember the advertising on them when they were introduced... there was two different 24's I believe... Bertram claimed to have stolen the "pop top" camper cpncept from the old Volkswagen vans.
VERY nice looking boats for their time and still today.
Ever thought about filling the transom and putting in one BIG motor ?

Promise to keep us up on how it's going ..

Steve

seano
04-19-2004, 02:10 PM
how bot a pair of rotary engines...

:)

http://www.rotarymarine.com/

BUIZILLA
04-19-2004, 02:56 PM
1) did you get the motor box?
2) what's the budget? ;)

J :odie:

Mac
04-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the reply's, it's really cool to find a place where people are interested in the boat. Just about everyone I talk to about working on the boat says "Oh you must mean a 25'" I say no it's a 24' and it goes from there. My budget I had been thinking of is about $25K for a to restore the boat to decent usable condition, not repainted or anything fancy just decent power and a basic interior. I came up with that number based on the plan to use twin 3.0L Mercruisers with counter rotating alphas. I got quotes of about $15K for the engines and drive packages with controls, gauges just about everything mechanical as nothing on the boat can be re-used. The other $10K I figured for interior and engine install. I have been trying to find someone to do the engine work and I have not really had much luck, it is almost seeming like too much of a project. I can do most of the work, the problem is I do not have the time, I am also very picky and want to be sure if I hire someone to do it they will do it the way I would want. I would be interested in hearing and suggestions. Here are a couple more pictures, one is a magazine add page and the other is the cover of the origional brochure showing the Baron model, mine is a Moppie, the main difference is the Moppie has the engine box, the Baron has the completely covered rear with hatch. I have the engine box, I just removed it as I have been trailering the boat around to show potential repower places and did not need it bouncing around in there. I also have all the orgional metal pieces, like rear vents and cowls.

Ross
04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
check out the 24' on www.yachtworld.com
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1154810&slim=quick&

olredalert
04-19-2004, 07:50 PM
----------Gorgeous boat, Ross. Appears to have had alot of money spent on it. Its not a flip front model and I dont know if its the same hull or not,but it sure is purty!............Bill S

seano
04-20-2004, 03:43 PM
mac...bring it to new york...i'll do it for ya :) ...no kidding.

here's the 28 Cigarette I repowered, repainted, reupholstered, rewired and replumbed from a bare hull. what a fun project!

http://www.thunderboatalley.com/gallery/album14

check out page 2...there's a pic of a 25 Bertram Flybridge i almost bought from Cape Cod...but I ended up buying a house on the water on the WRONG side of a LOW bridge...so now i'm looking for a Moppie or possbly a Bahia Mar...

Mac
04-20-2004, 05:57 PM
That 28 is awsome, is it the same one that was for sale on OSO for a while? That is some nice work. Where in NY are you? I talked to Al Grover's in NY about doing the boat. They seem pretty busy though.

seano
04-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Mac, the 28 was a labor of love...and i love bringing old boats back...

I'm in Riverhead...about a 45 minute drive---east of Grover.

Mac
05-10-2004, 07:35 AM
I am kicking around the idea of selling this boat and buying a 22 Classic. I have a clear title in my name for the boat, I have had it checked out by two different boat restoration places and they say there is no water damage in the transom core or anywhere else. I also have all the pieces such as air scoops, middle windshield and engine box. I know it is fairly subjective but what is a fair price for it. I am trying to figure out if it is worth selling or should I shrink wrap it and put it out of sight for a restoration at another date, who know when.

Ross
05-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Mac, I have been watching 20 and 25 Bertrams on Boat Trader and Yacht World for the past few years; have bought two 25's and sold one. Seems to me that for a hull ready for restoration is usually in the range of $6k to $7k. Since these boats appeal to a select group, the trick is find someone who knows what they are looking at. For comparison you may also want to look at what 23' Formula's are selling for;similiar vintage and design.
My $.02

BERTRAM BOY
05-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Mac,
Like I posted before, I'm definetly interested. You didn't list your email address, so I couldn't send you one.
Please email me at BERTRAMBOY@COX.NET

springs
05-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Mac,
I've got a pair of 2001 3.0 L Mercs w/ alpha's that I'd be willing to part with cheap. Shoot me an email. Cut that budget in half.

Mac
04-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Bringing this back instead of starting another thread, if anyone is interested in buying the 24' send me a PM, I am very close to selling it, I will know within a few days if the other deal goes through I have to get rid of it. I have all the pieces, such as vent cowls and engine hatch. This boat was origionally powered by a twin Mercruiser 6s. I have a MA title in my name for it as well.

Mac
04-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Almost sad to say I took a deposit on the Bertram today, looks like it will be going to someone who will take good care of her.
Good news though, I bought another 24' Bertram and should have that within a month if I can figure out transport. This one is slightly different in that is does not have the pop top and in powered by a single Mercruiser I/O.
Here is a picture of the new one.

Formula Jr
04-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Cliff, did you get this? I know you have been looking for a while. And to date, I've never seen a Baron poptop on the market. And this one was a moppie poptop.

JPR
04-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Has anybody marinized any of the newer GM inline six DOHC/ 4 valve engines yet? That might be a good application!

George

PS...Or a BMW

Who remembers the BMW? I had one of those in an 18' Sportsman (westcoast boat) and it was an unmitigated disaster. Motor was okay, leg was pretty good parts owwwch unavailable and extremely expensive, although I'm sure thats improved now that they no longer make them !??

turbo2256
04-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I almost purchased one of the 24s it was and may still be in Stuart FLA. It may still be there it was in bent boats auction. It had a pair of the 190 Merc's in it went about 55 with them. The guy that ended up with it (long story) stripped a full tuna tower, remote heilm, 12' out riggers, 5000 dollar fighting chair off it and put a pair of fiberglass kitchen chairs in it. Great boat before it was dissmantiled probably sold all that stuff off it to get cash. I was going to use it for my brothers charter fishing business and pleasure during my winter vacations in FLA.

seano
04-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Who remembers the BMW? I had one of those in an 18' Sportsman (westcoast boat) and it was an unmitigated disaster. Motor was okay, leg was pretty good parts owwwch unavailable and extremely expensive, although I'm sure thats improved now that they no longer make them !??

I do...my brother-in-law bought a 20 Sportsman about 15 years ago with the BMW powerplant and drive...in fact we were talking about it just the other day. He glassed up the transom and put an Armstrong bracket and 225 Mercury on the back...and gave the BMW stuff away.