PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 200 clutch question.

penbroke
04-16-2004, 10:16 PM
My Volvo 200 drive engages violently when going into reverse. It is NOT advancing the throttle before it engages. Going into foreward could not be smoother. I'm thinking worn parts in the linkage in the drive itself or worn clutch cone?

Does anybody have any ideas??

Frank,
Too many pieces to count.

MOP
04-16-2004, 10:54 PM
What is the idle set at 6-650 in gear usually works. Also, what oil are you running, they shift a bit nicer with the new heavy syn oils. May be time to re-shim it, cone may be shot, the rest stays in good shape, many are 30+ years old. Glad you mentioned the delay in the throttle linkage, quite a few don't know about it.

Tony
04-17-2004, 10:50 PM
penbroke, mine does the same thing, even with RedLine HD synthetic. I just don't use reverse unless I have to.

On a side topic, is there a Volvo DP lower that would bolt onto my AQ200 upper?

mattyboy
04-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Penbroke ,
I have a 250 drive and I think they are very similar
mine does the same thing every once and awhile 2 out of 8 times, I had to adjust the shift cable back in the drive it helped but didn't totally resolve it.

plus reverse is over rated ask Geoo!!!! ;) :) :)

Matty

penbroke
04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'll just assume that it is "normal" and live with it for now and concentrate on things that are actually broken.

Tony: I have heard (read on a forum somewhere) that a DP lower will bolt on with little fanfare but I have no firsthand knowelage. I'll try to find where I saw it and send you a link.

Matty: Reverse can be usefull at times. I once used it to prevent collision with a Cig Cafe. :eek!:

Frank

MOP
04-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Frank do you pause briefly between forward and reverse? allowing the gear case to slow down that will help also.

Phil

penbroke
04-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Frank do you pause briefly between forward and reverse? allowing the gear case to slow down that will help also.

Phil

Yup. Usually from a dead stop. I find that I can adjust the cable so forward works well and reverse is violent or reverse is good and forward will sometimes will not engage. There seems to be no in between.

I'm running standard dino 75w-90 gear oil.

I've seen Big Grizzly mention "lapping the cones". I know what lapping is but don't have any specifics for this application. Anybody know the details?

Frank