PDA

View Full Version : new toy1969 16

DAULEY
04-16-2004, 09:21 PM
need some insite on volvo drives
got a new toy 1969 16 hm have many questions
boats in great shape but know nothing about these drives seams to be play in drive is this common
what are my prop options
thanks bob

Tony
04-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Lots of play in my helmet, too...just makes it more exciting to drive! Big 14"x paddlewheel aluminums (21", 23") for everyday use or pulling, a SS Volvo Ultra (24" w/ cup) for top end and less steering torque. Any pics?

DAULEY
04-17-2004, 07:54 AM
tony
can i get a phone # to call you at
thanks bob

DAULEY
05-13-2004, 05:15 PM
heres some pixs after buffing

DAULEY
05-15-2004, 06:17 AM
would it hurt the value of the boat if i put a alpha ss on it?also speedo was added at some time is there one that would look more in keeping with the rest of the gauges,also what trim tabs should i install?
thanks bob

sizeplay
05-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Dauley, Looks like it would be pretty tough to match an external guage to the existing setup but you could try a silver rim guage on a bezel colored like the background panel. Can't really tell from the pics if it is smooth or brushed aluminium or ss. But the silver rims I had done for the cig 20 look identical to the ones pictured on your 16. Livorsi did them for me. Regardless matching up a round external guage to the set of guages on a rectangular background panel is a challenge. I wonder if you can have the stock guage face fabricated on the speedo. Would tie it all together a little bit better.

Jim

Tomahawk
05-16-2004, 06:24 AM
Bob - finding props for these seems to be a bit of an issue. The Ultra Tony mentioned seems to be the hot ticket, if you can find one. Big Grizzly has been doing some prop testing the last couple days with a prop company. They are using his other boat (Corsican) with the Volvo drive. Come on down to AOTH this weekend because I'm sure Grizz will be bringing a couple of these with him. Depending on feedback, this company may decide to build some props for the old Volvos.
Your boat looks pretty neat.