PDA

View Full Version : Need some more advice on electric pumps!

MOP
04-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Got on the phone with Meziere, they recomend running the pump constant. I posed the question of working against the T stat, new can of worms they said control temp with a fan. I can't its a boat don't know if he knows what a boat is.

Anyway questions:

Has anyone hooked one up with a controller to eliminate the T stat.
What GPH do we need to run with F/W cooling, I know running too much water through is nearly as bad as not enough. I learned that working pit crew on old Ford 60 1/4 midgets, they would over heat with full flow but run Ok with restrictors. Will this same deal play out in our toys?

gcarter
04-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Phil, I dug out my manual, and found the pump doesn't discharge against the T'stat when its closed, but instead circulates through the manifolds (of course considering you have a full system, so it can circulate there). This is a Merc schematic, but my San Juan works the same way. See Picture.

George

MOP
04-16-2004, 09:46 PM
That fine for a full system, I am raw cooling the headers. Got to thinking about controlling temp, in my stash I have a manual temp guage with a set of adjustable contacts for an overheat alarm. It can be set for any temp, I can use that with a relay to kick the fan in. will add to my compartment gauge set.