PDA

View Full Version : The Unsinkable Legend Tour 2004 or Half-A-Boat

slick
04-16-2004, 06:20 PM
While at our Marina today we spotted this half-a-boat pulling in to tie up for the night. Turns out they are in Louisville for Thunder Over Louisville the huge fireworks display that kicks off Derby Festival and the Kentucky Derby run the 1st Saturday in May. Maria and Dave Russell are co-captains on this promotional tour featuring an 18 foot factory fresh Dauntless that was cut in half to highlight the Boston Whalers unsinkable Unibond Construction. To see and read more about it go to www.whaler.com.

gcarter
04-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Boy! You talk about the potential of taking one over the bow ! :kaioken:

George

Lenny
04-17-2004, 10:42 AM
I have had more than a few Whalers and similar "foam cored hulls/liners and the one thing I don't like about them is if you hit a wave HARD and it compresses the glasswork to a certain degree, in some cases the hull retains the "compession factor of the impact and keeps the "dent" in memory as it is chemically bonded to the foam." I remember putting a compression mark in the bow entry area of a Chapparell, from new. I sold it within a year. But, this is a great selling point knowing that your boat won't end up on the bottom. Cool pics.

MOP
04-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Not sure if this is true! But I have heard the same story a few times, the CG And the Navy have had problems with the foam breaking down and have sent boat backto be fixed. I was to the Whaler factory years back, honestly was not to impressed. I could not resist saying to our guide that there was not much to them, two not to thick layers of glass and foam. I had a Montauk for about 4 years it did do fine by me, so I have mixed feeling. I don't think I would buy another but maybe.

McGary911
04-27-2004, 06:46 PM
must need a TON of trim to keep that thing from stuffing!!!!

RedDog
04-30-2004, 12:30 PM
... featuring an 18 foot factory fresh ...

Sure doesn't look like an 18 footer. If I had to venture a guess, I'd call it 9 feet :boat: