PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer??

TBroccoli
04-15-2004, 03:32 PM
I've been working to get my 1999 Karavan trailer set properly. It is for my 1996 22 Classic. It came with 2 sets of bunks, positioned incorrectly. What is the best position for the bunks? Are bunks better than rollers? It came with a wench strap. It has torn twice. Is a cable better? Please help. I don't want to be the idiot on the boat ramp everyone is waiting on. Thanks. :boggled:

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Bunks definitely, they support the boat better, and less things to break. As far as cable v strap, the strap won't bury itself like my cable ALWAYS does, but I had a strap cut itself while pulling a boat up the Sunshine Skyway, so for now, I just fight the cable. :(

Fish boy
04-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I agree with Cuda on the bunks. As far as cable vs. strap, the cable is stronger, but if I am cranking down on a wench and one of the two is going to snap, I would rather have the strap snap back and hit me in the face than a cable. I know, the chances are slim a cable will break, but I am too purty to take the chance LOL

fish

MOP
04-15-2004, 05:41 PM
A very nice product I have found to help with loading is Bunk Ezz, it is a spray that you shot your bunks with makes them real slippery loading and unloading is a snap. Requires good tie downs! Ask you local trailer dealer you will love it, one can has lasted me three years.

Phil

Cuda
04-15-2004, 05:44 PM
You can spray the bunks down with silicone too, but don't undo the cable until the boat is at the water! :eek:

Genuine Risk
04-15-2004, 05:47 PM
George Carlin mused about TV sensors, " you can prick your finger but you can't finger your p***k". I'm glad to hear you guys crank your wench.

T

Cuda
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
My wench usually does all the cranking. On the boat too.

Fish boy
04-15-2004, 06:05 PM
My wench usually does all the cranking. On the boat too.

Somebody is gonna be sleeping on the couch if somebody else reads this LOL

TMANN
04-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Here are some pictures of how my trailer is setup. The bunks are under the stringers. Just figured pictures might help... This setup works great for me but as the guys said use some silicon on the bunks and it will be allot easier.

TMANN

Genuine Risk
04-15-2004, 06:37 PM
How does one correctly operate the wench to prevent them from snapping back at you ?

Let me suggest.

1. There is no handle !
2. Don't ever mention the handle !!
3. or handles !!!
4. You cannot prevent it from happening. Wenches will always snap !!!!

Fish boy
04-15-2004, 06:51 PM
How does one correctly operate the wench to prevent them from snapping back at you ?

Let me suggest.

1. There is no handle !
2. Don't ever mention the handle !!
3. or handles !!!
4. You cannot prevent it from happening. Wenches will always snap !!!!

LMAO!!!!

Cuda
04-15-2004, 06:57 PM
If you have problems with the wench snapping back, replace the wench, there is no fix!

gcarter
04-15-2004, 07:29 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the pretty boats And the good looking trailers this group has! :smile: :boat:

George

BUIZILLA
04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
I haven't done this yet on my 3 Donzi trailers, but on my last 3 big open fish trailers I cut a piece of starboard about 6" wide and 18" long, heated it up in the middle to contour to the V in the forward bunk and screwed it to the V bunk, on top of the carpet. Absolutely makes an effortless procedure of launch and retrieve. Try it.

J :wavey:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-15-2004, 08:21 PM
For us a cable was a pain. I replaced it with a 10,000 pound strap, find the best fit for the winch, most are 2" or 3" wide, some 3.5". I also ocassionally spray the winch gears with WD-40, she never binds and works smoothly.

As far as bunk placement, keep in mind while adjusting the bunks that you must consider bow holding position, tongue weight is just as important.

As far as the ramp issue, we all have an ocassional oops :shocking: at the ramp, but 1 out of 20 isn't too bad, practice makes perfect. Start a routine with your 1st mate and never deviate from it. Works for us.
Best of luck to you.
Bryan

(we splash this Sunday for the 1st time this year!)

Cuda
04-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I haven't done this yet on my 3 Donzi trailers, but on my last 3 big open fish trailers I cut a piece of starboard about 6" wide and 18" long, heated it up in the middle to contour to the V in the forward bunk and screwed it to the V bunk, on top of the carpet. Absolutely makes an effortless procedure of launch and retrieve. Try it.

J :wavey:
Jim, do you have pictures of the fish trailers? Sounds interesting.

BUIZILLA
04-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Cuda, no pic's. Pretty self explanatory, and it flat out works. Drill 8 countersunk holes for the s/s wood screws, contour the starboard to shape, screw it down on the FRONT V-bunk, your done. 2 finger launch.

J :sombrero:

Ed Donnelly
04-16-2004, 02:54 PM
BUIZILLA I keep on trying to picture it in my minds eye, but, all I come up with is an image of a naked woman.. Any chance of a quick drawing, but without boobs...Ed

boldts
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Might be wrong, but heres what I think Jim is doing? Most Aluminum trailers come with what looks like a white 1" tube that is in the shape of a V that the bow rests on.

Not sure, but I believe Jim is adding 2 bunks attached on each side of this tube and extending back to the next trailer crossmember. Now what you have is a nice landing pad to catch the bow and line the boat up on the trailer instead of trying to hit a roller which I believe is in front of this white tube.

If I'm wrong, sorry Jim. I guess a picture would help me also. I realize a steel trailer is not for use in salt water, but most steel trailers come with this set-up to catch the bow. Sure saves the gel from that time you miss that roller on the Aluminum trailer. Not to mention gives the bow added support.

pmreed
04-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Here are some pics of my set-up. The two center bunks were installed per Poodle's suggestion. They line up the keel and make loading and launching a snap. No more being cockeyed on one bunk and not the other.

pmreed
04-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Howdy Scott. Nice shot of the X boat at the Lakeside Inn. Musta been last year. :smile:

Phil

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-16-2004, 08:16 PM
POODLE, in picture #1 are those rubber pads or ?
Neat set up.
Some of us deal with triple layered bunks, but when the trailer is sunk correctly a snap to load..

We'll find out tomorrow if I have forgotten anything.
WE SPLASH IN THE A.M. 1st 2004 launch... :)
WISH US LUCK.....
Bryan