PDA

View Full Version : Electric water pump

gcarter
04-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience useing an electric circulating water pump, like you see on drag cars, on a closed cooling system Mercruiser SBC engine?
I know there are different types, I'm thinking of the Proform type w/ the integral motor.

Thanks;
George

MOP
04-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Boy you are Quick! Two nice things about electric pumps, no belt and you can use a thermo couple instead of a T stat.

OFA

gcarter
04-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, I like the IDEA, but has anyone any experience?
I REALLY want to know! :confused: :bonk:

George

Rootsy
04-15-2004, 07:53 PM
you best make sure the motor is rated for continuous use... a service factor of 1.5 or greater.. otherwise you'll end up burning it up... :bonk:

a boat using one and a straight line race car are two different animals... in the camaro we don't run the electric waterpump on the motor except during initial warm up before a run and after a run during cool down... roundy round guys run mechanical pumps... wonder why that is... :boggled:

gcarter
04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
That makes sence Jamie. I'll nose around some more.

Thanks;

George

MOP
04-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Walt I have been looking at this one for awhile, it seems to be one of the better ones available. A little pricy but HP gains are signifigant, could very well end up with one.

A.O.F.

Pump
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/elecpump.htm
Test
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/08/electricwaterpump/index.shtml

MOP
04-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Check out the booster pump same page, the flow chart shows enough flow for normal operation just needs a thermo couple.

A.O.F.

BUIZILLA
04-15-2004, 08:24 PM
This is a VERY interesting idea. However, I would limit it to a closed system. We ran Meziere pumps on my 535 Buick S/Stocker and my 500" Chevy S/G Camaro and our 509 Chevy S/C dragtser. Now these were drag race engines, but I drove my Buick later on, on the street for 2 years with a 470" street engine it has now with this pump. I know of several people driving the Meziere's on street rods and Pro Tour cars. I have not used CSI products as they stiffed me on my contingency $$$. I have had a fleeting thought why they aren't used on marine applications. With a closed system, I can see no logical reason why not.

J :boat:

MOP
04-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Jim where can we get a look at the Meziere pumps? I know getting rid of the pump drag makes alot of difference, I snapped a belt during a run years back made a tad over a tenth quicker run.

A.O.F.

gcarter
04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone for responding. That EWP pump is an inline that could be run with the Stainless Marine bypass that come with my engine, the pump can abywhere in the circuit between the H. E. and the engine.
Happy day! :uzi: :yippie:

George

gcarter
04-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Here's a site for the maziere pumps;

http://www.fastpts.com/cgi-bin/hazel-cgi/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item=waterpmp.html

it has a 2400 hour continous rating, compared to 20 to 50 hours per year, I could will it to my GRAND kids if I had any! :smash: :yippie:
About $275.00.

George

MOP
04-15-2004, 10:46 PM
I went off and did a search, got lost on the site Nice pumps. You can put toghether a real nice package pretty reasonably, quality looks exceptional. Found another place to spend the 16's money, guys picking it up tomorrow. Bummer it will be my last ride, had it on the hose today damn it sounded sweet.

A.O.F.

txtaz
04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Phil, "Last ride"???? What?
No more boats for you?
If so, go get a RV, head south and look us up, we'll take you for a ride.
Wes

MOP
04-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Phil, "Last ride"???? What?
No more boats for you?
If so, go get a RV, head south and look us up, we'll take you for a ride.
Wes

Last ride in my sold 16, hurts my heart was one of the cleanest best running boats I ever owned. But also one of the more profitable ones. Hopefully will get my 22 project running over the next 5-6 weeks.

Note to George! Why did you start this mess now the pumps will be on back ordered LOL!

gcarter
04-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Simple... I didn't want to take a chance of cooking my new engine! :wink:

George :sombrero: