PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Sweet 18 and Classic 18

txtaz
04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a new trailer for the boat. One manufacturer had a template for a sweet 18 but I have a classic 18. Anyone know if the hulls are different? It's $300 more if they don't have the template.
Also, any recommmendations for a trailer? This one may be a bit pricey at $3200, but it is a painted steel box construction and matches the Jeep and boat perfectly.
I'm looking for a tandem axle with surge brakes. Another idea I have is an aluminum and getting it painted to match.
Scot??? Nudge, nudge
Thanks,
Wes

mattyboy
04-15-2004, 11:07 AM
maybe a sweet 16???
the only difference in 18 hulls is
a sharpkeeled barrelback early 60's boat
and the round keeled classic 18 late 60's til now

I would reach out to Harbormaster if I recall he had a nice setup for his 18 tandem galavanized he can tell ya who to call
get a bunk trailer !!!
steel is for fresh water
aluminium for salt

windshields for COOL GUYS
grab rails for WEENIES ;) :tongue: hehe
right HM ;)

Matty
fresh water weenie ;)

RedDog
04-15-2004, 12:00 PM
If buying a trailer I wouldn't consider anything but aluminum. And don't paint it - just shine it

If you really want a painted steel trailer, I have a nice tandem Eagle with brakes and crome wheels. The green trailer along with your red hull would really put you in the Christmas spirit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

txtaz
04-15-2004, 12:37 PM
RedDog that means I could use Christmas lights as running lights and it could be Christmas all year long. Well as long as the sun is shining and I'm out in the boat.
Thanks for the input.
Wes

MOP
04-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Wes is this custom trailer or just a good brand name, tempalte sounds odd we have sold hundreds without any template.

MOP

txtaz
04-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Hey Phil,
Yeah it was a custom trailer. BUT, the point may be mute now. The future misses politely pointed out last night that I may be going a little overboard on the boat and spending too much money. Since we are planning on buying a new house and putting 80% down, she sort of brought me back down to earth. I might be able to swing a deal with one of Scot's friends in Houston for a tandem with surge disk brakes. I think if I go with the safety issue, I might be able to get it past the misses. :yes:
Wes

Ranman
04-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Just as a not, I prefer "I" beam or "C" Channel construction over box steel. Water gets inside the box steel and rots the trailer from the inside out. I beam or C channel lets the trailer dry. There's no place for the water to hide. Also, steel is for fresh water. Aluminum is for fresh or salt.

Team Jefe
04-16-2004, 10:47 AM
The cold weather and mushy peas over here are clogging my brain, so I missed this post earlier.

Wes - If you get a new (or used trailer), follow the above advise. NO box steel....hell, no STEEL at all, go with alluminum I-beam (and don't paint it).

HM has......had :lookaroun , the nicest 18' trailer I have ever seen.....Actually it may be for sale????????