PDA

View Full Version : Anode FAQ

Greg K
04-14-2004, 04:06 PM
What do sacrificial anodes do?

All metals immersed in an electrolyte (sea water for example) produce an electrical voltage. When two dissimilar metals are in contact (electrically connected) they produce a galvanic cell (like a battery), with the less noble metal (a bronze propeller for example) forming the anode and the more noble metal (stainless steel shaft) forming the cathode.
If you want to protect both metals you need to connect a third metal that is more active than the first two. The most active metal (zinc for example) becomes the anode to the others and sacrifices itself by corroding (giving up metal) to protect the cathode - hence the term sacrificial anode.

What factors increase corrosion?

The voltage difference between the two metals will affect the rate of corrosion. For example a stainless steel prop, which is a relatively noble metal, will cause more corrosion of a set of zincs than a bronze prop.
Corrosion will increase the saltier the water is. Increasing temperature will also increase the conductivity of water and the resulting corrosion. The corrosion rate doubles with every 10 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit) increase in temperature. Pollution can also increase corrosion. For example, many freshwater lakes have been contaminated by acid rain, which increases the conductivity of the water and therefore corrosion rates.

When should sacrificial anodes be replaced?

Anodes should be changed, at least, on an annual basis (including anodes in fresh water) or when they have corroded to half their original size.

What precautions should I take when installing new anodes?

Make sure they make good electrical contact with the metal that is being protected. Remove any paint and clean the metal surface that will be in contact with the anode.

DON’T paint anodes! They can’t work if they are covered up.

What type of anodes should I use for my sterndrive?

Sterndrives and outboards are made from aluminum alloys, which are particularly prone to corrosion (less noble metal). The use of aluminum anodes is strongly recommended. They give much better protection in both salt and fresh water.

What else should I do to help protect my sterndrive?

Keep paint (on engines, sterndrive units etc.) in good condition. A small scratch will corrode rapidly.

Leave the sterndrive unit immersed in the water. If you don’t the anodes can’t work.

Don’t use anti-fouling paint containing copper or mercury on a sterndrive unit. The metal in the paint will increase galvanic corrosion.

Don’t mix zinc anodes on the hull with aluminum anodes on the drive. The aluminum anodes will protect the zinc anodes in addition to the unit.

What anodes should I use on Trim Tabs?

Trim tabs are usually made of stainless steel and they should be protected with small zinc trim tab/rudder anodes. Do not bond the trim tabs to the main internal bonding system! A drive unit may corrode trying to protect the trim tab and its zincs. An unprotected trim tab will corrode rapidly.

What anodes should I use in freshwater?

Where possible aluminum anodes are recommended over zinc. Zinc anodes can become inactive after only a few months due to the build up of an insulating film of zinc hydroxide. Aluminum anodes will remain active.

Zinc anodes should be changed on an annual basis, even if they look OK – remember the coating!

Why aluminum?

As discussed above, aluminum is a more active alloy creating a greater protective voltage difference (-1.10V compared with –1.05V). It also has a much higher current capacity for the same weight (1150Ahr/lb compared with 368 Ahr/lb for zinc). The result - an anode made in aluminum gives better protection and lasts longer than the same anode made in zinc. Also, aluminum does not suffer from the problem of becoming inactive in freshwater.

MORE...

What do zincs do?

The correct name for them is sacrificial anode and they are used to protect the metal parts of a boat that are in the water. They do this by corroding instead of the metal.

When two different metals are immersed in an ELECTROLYTE (A liquid that can carry electricity) such as salt water, they set up an electrical voltage and a current flows between them, just as in a battery. The most "active" metal (the ANODE or positive) deteriorates by losing material into the electrolyte and the less active metal (or CATHODE) is protected. This is known as GALVANIC corrosion. If you want to protect both metals you need to connect a third metal that is more active than the first two. This is where the zinc comes in. It is one of the most active metals and is commonly used as a sacrificial anode.

Facts and Advice

General Corrosion Facts

Corrosion will increase the saltier the water is.
Increasing temperature will also increase the conductivity of water and the resulting corrosion. The corrosion rate doubles with every 10 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit) increase in temperature.
Pollution can also increase corrosion. For example, many freshwater lakes have been contaminated by acid rain, which increases the conductivity of the water and therefore corrosion rates.

Installing Sacrificial Anodes

Anodes should be changed, at least, on an annual basis (including anodes in fresh water).
You should change your anodes when they have corroded to half their original size if this occurs sooner than 1 year.
When you fit new zincs, make sure they make good electrical contact with the metal that is being protected.
Always use noble metal, such as stainless steel (preferably 316 grade), for bolts or fasteners. The fasteners are very small compared with the surrounding metal and if they corrode first you will lose something!
DON’T paint anodes! They can’t work if they are covered up.
It is near impossible to overprotect with zincs (except wooden boats).

Sterndrives and Outboards

Sterndrives and outboards are made from aluminum alloys, which are particularly prone to corrosion (active metal). The use of aluminum anodes is strongly recommended. They give much better protection in both salt and fresh water.
Magnesium anodes can be used in fresh water areas with severe corrosion problems, but caution is advised. If magnesium anodes are used in salt or brackish water the paint will be “blown off” the drive in a very short time!
Keep paint (on engines, sterndrive units etc.) in good condition. A small scratch will corrode rapidly.
Leave the sterndrive unit immersed in the water. If you don’t the anodes can’t work.
If you have an outboard tilt it out of the water (as long as it is completely clear).
If you remove your boat from the water, flush the metal components and/or drive unit with fresh water to remove any pollution or saltwater.
Don’t use anti-fouling paint containing copper or mercury on a sterndrive unit. The metal in the paint will increase galvanic corrosion.
Don’t mix zinc anodes on the hull with aluminum anodes on the drive. The aluminum anodes will protect the zinc anodes in addition to the unit.

Fresh Water

Where possible aluminum anodes are recommended over zinc.
Magnesium anodes, if used, must not be used in salt or brackish water!
Zinc anodes should be changed on an annual basis, even if they look OK. Anodes can become inactive after only a few months due to the build up of an insulating film of zinc carbonate.

Shore Power

If you leave your boat connected to shore power, the grounding conductor from the shore connects your boat’s ground to the grounds of surrounding boats on the dock. You may then be protecting neighboring boats with your anodes (or worse still with your aluminum outdrive).
The solution is to install a galvanic isolator in the grounding conductor of the shore power cable. This ensures that you are isolated from the galvanic dc currents without creating a safety hazard. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE GROUND (GREEN) CONDUCTOR. You could create a potentially lethal electrical hazard.

Scott Heidt
04-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Very Cool! Thanks for spending the time to explain things!

So in essence, with a stainless steel prop, 1 part polluted water, 2 parts salty water, and 3 parts warm water, I better keep up with the zinc anodes! :eek:

Thanks Again! :wavey:

RedDog
04-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Well once again another Spring project has been identified...

Rootsy
04-14-2004, 06:31 PM
so when they say "aluminum" anode... do they in fact mean 1100 AL? as in PURE annealed non strain hardened AL? or will like 6000 and 7000 series AL's work?

my spacers for my trim cylinders on the SS are 7075-T651 uncoated and untreated and they look like the day i put em on... plus my transom assy and trim rams have whatever for anodes from merc.. NONE on my sterndrive at all.. but it is primed and painted very thoroughly with PPG DCC... and i don't leave it in the water overnight other than in say kentucky...

so please clarify "ALUMINUM" :D

Fish boy
04-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks Greg, a very well written and informative post.

Fish

gcarter
04-14-2004, 07:42 PM
so when they say "aluminum" anode... do they in fact mean 1100 AL? as in PURE annealed non strain hardened AL?

so please clarify "ALUMINUM" :D
I'm betting on the 1100 pure aluminum.

George

Murphy
04-14-2004, 07:58 PM
On my Alpha SS I'm only aware of the following anodes:

1) Acorn anode nuts on each side of the drive.
2) Merthacode anode at the base of the gimble ring.
3) Trim tab anode.

I'm also aware there is a bearing carrier anode. I don't think my drive has trim cylinder anodes, at least I can't see any. I've seen cavitation plate anodes listed for Alphas Gen.II's but again, don't think I've got one. Where else should I be looking?

Murph

Rootsy
04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
murph,

i am using gen II trim rams so i have anodes on the end... i have ZERO on the drive... i have no trim tab on the cavitation plate.. mine is just a solid piece of aluminum with a bolt hole... since i have an outboard gearcase... but yes there is one on the transom assy... and the bravo i believe uses one behind the prop on the bearing carrier... as well as the GEN II...

Greg K
04-14-2004, 09:22 PM
The aluminum anodes that were mentioned above are an aluminum/indium alloy. Mil spec Mil-A-24779.

Just another note...All Mercruiser outdrives come standard with aluminum anodes.
Magnesium anodes have to be gotten from a dealer.

MOP
04-15-2004, 02:50 AM
The aluminum anodes from a mumblings I have heard are not doing as well as thought, they are growing green slime and not eroding hence no protection. Bar zincs that still have atleast 80% left can be wire wheeled bright and be as effective as new. All zincs should be checked with an OHM meter after the install and a few times during the season, they do loose contact from eroding.

Phil

Dennis Moore
04-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Anodes are only effective when submerged in the water. Every part doesn't necessarily need an anode either. As long as a part is electrically connected to a submerged anode the sacrificial qualities will be extended from that anode to the part. This is why Mercruiser connects everything with stainless steel ground straps.

Installing anodes inside intake and exhaust manifolds (water passages) is a good idea. Sometimes the gaskets, gasket sealer, and thread sealer will isolate a manifold from the engine (electrically) and the anodes won't protect them.

Thermostat housings need the Mercruiser base gasket with the brass grounding rivets to ground the housing to the manifold/engine/drive/anodes. When reinstalling your engine make sure you reconnect the stainless steel ground straps between the engine and the inner transom plate.

It is also impossible to have too many anodes, the more the better!

Dennis Moore

MOP
04-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Dennis I do not agree with the never to much approach! To many anodes will have the reverse effect, reversing the current flow pulling particles from the noble source rather than what it is suppose to do. This especially noticeable on S/S shafting where people have doubled & tripled the zincs. The shafting has a slight bronze look being ever so slowly electro plated by the normally more noble bronze props, you need a Galvanometer to get it correct on a new install. Most of us run quite a metal mix, copper, aluminum, stainless, iron. Whether fresh or salt use it is worth the time to check, there is a relationship as to who much anode to how much well bonded mass. I will check my install when done with the shops meter.

MOP