PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk drive

metraman
04-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Do anyone know who to contact about the parts to repair these drives? Are there manuals available? Nothing wrong with the drive now I would just like to know how its setup inside and what preventative maintenance I should do.

MOP
04-13-2004, 07:44 PM
You may end up having to ship it south, I am in the Biz and when I asked my local boys the comment was Voo Doo Drive. I will be good to mine this season then get it Hi Perffed next winter.

Phil

gero1
04-14-2004, 09:27 AM
you can contact mercury marine in fond du lac wi. attn. publications dept.. p.o box 1939 , 54936-1939. i have a service manual for these drives, part # 90-823228 1-694 number 20. shows all specs along with complet tear down and rebuild pictures. i think this is the number for mercruiser in ok. 405-743-6566, you might call them and be able to get this over the phone

MOP
04-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks from Me Too!

Phil

Indyblackhawk
04-14-2004, 01:36 PM
you could just be like us and have 4 Blackhawk drives laying in the garage.

MOP
04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Show Off! :biggrin: The three I have are all different, BH, Alpha, A drive. Wonder if I can weld them together :biggrin:

Woodsy
04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Metra...

The best PM on a Blackhawk is to have a spare drive.... No, I am NOT kidding... GET A SPARE! I know where there are still a few floating around....

That being said, a yearly inspection of the upper gears, change drive fluid 2X a year, use a good fluid, Merc racing or a high quality synth. Make sure your shift cable is adjusted perfectly and well lubed. Don't EVER go from forward to reverse without a pause in neutral... the uppers will self destruct quickly... If you encounter ANY issues shifting the drive at all, stop, get towed back, the pin has been pulled in the grenade. Upgrade your upper gearset to the new HD setup offered by Merc, it will save you a ton of cash later. Did I mention get a spare drive? They are getting scarce, and like anything mechanical they will eventually break, start scrounging up parts now... The Merc Manual is a good place to start, and I might have one still.. they pop up on E-bay every once in awhile for about $25-30 or so.

The only thing harder to find than BlackHawk parts & props, is mid 90's OMC Second Effort parts... why do I always seem to pick the rare stuff? Outboard Coon Works is finally starting to gear up...

Woodsy Von Outboard, formerly Woodsy Von Blackhawk...

Rootsy
04-14-2004, 10:27 PM
The only thing harder to find than BlackHawk parts & props, is mid 90's OMC Second Effort parts... why do I always seem to pick the rare stuff? Outboard Coon Works is finally starting to gear up...

Woodsy Von Outboard, formerly Woodsy Von Blackhawk...

or spare alpha SS parts when ya need em ;)

Woodsy
04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Root...

The Alpha SS Upper is being held hostage by the militant wing of the Winni Bandits... I have been absolutely powerless to persuade them to release the casing so I can ship it to you. Rumour on the street is a shady character that goes by the name "Bertram Boy" is behind this nefarious act... Their demands are simple... COME TO THE WINNI POKER RUN! (With or without that flying 16 of yours)

Actually, I was thinking the casing liked the warmer New England climate! LOL! I'll send you the tracking number friday....

Haaaabaaahmaaastaaahh... yours is going out friday too!

Woodsy Von Outboard... Commander, 1st Militant Outlaw Wing, Blue Smoke Division, Winni Bandits

blackhawk
04-16-2004, 01:16 PM
The only thing unique to the blackhawk drive is the case, props and vertical shaft. The blackhawk is just as durable as a bravo if it is driven correctly. As long as your don't air it out and land on the gas it should last as long as any bravo drive.

MOP
04-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Thank you Scott, the doom sayers have been warning me to death in PM's, emails and on the phone. My mouse motor should not harm it, I do not hammer my stuff anyway. If I like the performance then I will have it HDed next winter.

Phil / MOP