PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Removal and Installation - Alpha One

GKricheldorf
04-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Hello All,

Been searching the board for outdrive removal and installation information, but didn't find any. I was able to track down some info on the net on what tools will be required. Now i'm not going to be rebiulding the outdrive, just removing it to get my new motor installed. The list of special tools is a bit pricey. What tools will i really need to get the job done?

Also do any of you have a PDF manual for the Alhpa One available?

Thanks for all your help. I may be getting in over my head on this.

gcarter
04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I removed mine a few months ago. No special tools needed. Basically, support the drive with the support hole in the cap, remove the six lock nuts and washers, and pull it out. If it's a gen11, the speedo pickup is integral w/ the drive and needs to be removed before removal. I haven't seen a PDF, but then I haven't been around these all that long.
I purchased a Clymer manual that can be purchased in many boating stores as well as many book stores, $24.95 (about).

George

OK guys, did I miss anything?

MOP
04-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Put the shift into forward before removing the drive, you may have to rotate the prop to get it to go in easily.

George there are some fairly good blow ups on the drives on the site below.

http://hlsm.com/

gcarter
04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Yep... I forgot about putting it into forward gear! :cussball:

George

Rootsy
04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
tis very easy to do...

you'll need the following...

3/8 ratchet
6 inch extension - just for ease
5/8 deep well socket - 6 pt preferred
needle nose pliers for GEN II
1/2 inch socket for GEN I - think it is 1/2 anyway... maybe 9/16 inch.. been a while since i did a gen I
mallet
maybe a brass punch
block of wood - 4x4 or so
soap
flat blade medium width screwdriver
gasket remover and gasket scraper
2-4-C merc grease
Merc spline and coupler grease
Gasket mounting set

put her in forward then get the ratchet and 1/2 inch socket and remove the nuts on one side of the cross bars that hold the trim rams on both the drive and the gimble ring. remove trim ram from side oyu took nuts off of... then tap the rods through while holding the other trim ram in place... tap em through until you can remove the trim ram and rods.. have to do this cause the hoses are short and won't let you move the ram enough... if you ahve a GEN II then it has C-clips on the end of each rod... just remove one from each rod on the same side... instead of nuts...

now put that block of wood under the skeg... next take the 5/8 socket and remove the 6 mounting bolts that hold the drive to the gimble... grab the cavitation plate, lift the drive slightly and let it drop... do this until the gasket seal breaks then the drive will slide right off the studs and out fo the coupler.. and whala she is off...

installation can be a bit more challenging.. but really not all that hard if you have a friend if you are not versed in doing it...

weight of an alpha is about 75 lbs give or take...

gcarter
04-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Rootsy, for filling all the blanks.
Someone could publish a manual from just transcribing all your posts....except the ones about Toona :wink:

George

GKricheldorf
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Awesome Guys - I can't thank you guys enough, especially you Rootsy. I haven't even started to work on the removing the outdrive, but with this info I can feel the anxiety easing already. :eek!: :rlol: