PDA

View Full Version : Water pump question.

txtaz
04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
I know I ask a lot of questions and I really appreciate the help.
One of the mechanics at the shop looked at my water pump and said it needed replaced. He showed me a weep hole that had a little rust around it in the front top of the pump. They want $185 for a new one, I can get one for $100 and replace it. My question is, what is this an idication of? Bad gasket? Do I need a new pump?
Thanks again,
Wes
P.S. Can anyone tell I have nothing else to do today? :lookaroun

MOP
04-12-2004, 12:09 PM
The seal is starting to weep, his price is decent.

Phil

txtaz
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
$185 pump only, $70/hour to put it in. I'll go with $117 and put it in myself.
Poodle, do you have a place to order from?
Thanks,
Wes

Rootsy
04-12-2004, 01:06 PM
if you search a bit you can come up with factory rebuilt mercruiser (IE marine) circulating pumps for 80 bucks or less.. with warranty...

should take you about an hour to change the pump... you have to get some stuff out of the way on the front of the motor...

when she weeps out the weep hole the seal is going bad... if she sits it can tie the bearing up in the nose of the pump... which is never fun...

txtaz
04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Poodle, An email is coming.

gcarter
04-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Michiganmotors has NEW pumps on eBay for $99.00 plus less than $10.00 shipping. It is a marine pump w/SST backplate, brass plugs & impellor.
I recently bought one for my SB, nice looking pump, no core.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50442&item=2473602244&rd=1

George

Rootsy
04-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Scott,

i bought 2 when i did a sbc for one of our brothern last year.. one for that and one for my motor since i was weeping... had a mercruiser reman decal on it with the part number... i'll get it to ya this weekend when i can stick my head in the bilge and take a look... came in a mercury reman box also... cost me something like 50 bucks and NO CORE... was from a marina somewhere on the east coast.. i'll see if i can dig up the email from them and forward it to you...

JR

txtaz
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone, problem solved. Poodle is sending me a new pump this week. When I get back from California, new pump install and then the first full throttle run in "The Boat that Ted" built. I'm off to prove that it does 72 MPH.
Wes

MOP
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Being the 383 will be fresh water cooled I went to my local discount house of parts and picked a re-man with 1 year warentee auto pump for $26.03 with my discount, don't need marine on F/W cooled motors.

Phil

Fish boy
04-12-2004, 07:19 PM
just want to wish you luck on your upcoming first WOT voyage, and glad to hear that some of the tinkering you have had to do lately has not dampened your spirits. I am sure I speak for nearly everyone here when I say that we all have to do a little wrenching from time to time, but when you get her on the water its all worth it. :)

fish