PDA

View Full Version : Closest airport to Lake Cumberland?

txtaz
04-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Hello,
We are thinking of making it to AOTH IV this year and need some help. I have time to leave during the week to drive up from Texas, but my future misses will need to fly out Friday night. What is the closest/best airport to fly into?
Thanks,
Wes

boldts
04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Louisville, KY to Jamestown, KY - Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 33 minutes Total Est. Distance: 121.59 miles

Lexington, KY to Jamestown, KY - Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 88.54 miles

Hopefully Madpoodle or even the Harbormaster can help here because they have flown in to the gathering before. The Harbormaster is from TX also if you didn't know. These are the 2 bigger cities near Jamestown, but there may be other options available. The miles and times I've listed are from Mapquest. I find it interesting that both cities are about the same time wise, but Lexington is 30 miles closer? Must be more 2 lane road and stop lights coming in from that direction. Bruce Donze is also from TX and his wife flew in last year. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what Bruce's user name on the boards is. Hopefully, one of these guys will see your question and be able to help better than I.

txtaz
04-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks Scott,
I will email HM and see what his plans are. Maybe we can carpool for an airport pickup or travel together if he is taking a boat.
Wes

Bandit
04-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Wes,

I picked up the Harbour Master the last time he flew into Lex and took him down to Jamestown. There's a small airport in Somerset but you'd have to charter a plane from Lex.

I'll be heading out of Lex on Thurs to goto Somerset and could pick somebody up at the airport if they need a ride South.

txtaz
04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the offer Bandit,
We are still working on our schedule, but I will say this: After buying a new car, an engagement ring, new boat and soon to be new house, I am not in the mood to charter anything. :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:
I am trying to get her to take off Friday, but she has been off alot lately and may not be able to. So it looks like I willl be there on Thursday and pick her up on Friday.
I wrote HM to see what his schedule was and see if we could get together somewhere.
Thanks again for your offer.
Wes