PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel gas tanks

JACK ANDERSON
04-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Hey Guys,
I have a 16 ft 1972 classis with the original gas tank and I haven't seen much talk about replacing old gas tanks with stainless steel one's, is there a reason? I checked the net and there are companys that make them. It seems to me with the amount of work involved in replacing the tank that it would be a no brainer to go stainless. Also, what about cutting the floor rather then lifting the deck to get at the tank.

Thanks as always

DonziNUTS
04-12-2004, 07:34 AM
I just bought an aluminum from Florida Marine Tanks for 215.00 with sender.
Personally cutting the floor out to get to the tank would be out of the question! Take the time and separate it....you boat will love you for it!!
Look for pass post on this subject.....just a reminder from the past....THIS IS A VERY TOUCHY SUBJECT HERE!!

Good luck!!
Mike

P.S. Sitting here with popcorn and beer!! :rlol:

MOP
04-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Cutting the floor would end up being a B#$@* of a job compared to lifting the deck, sounds simple until you take a good look at what all really needs to be cut, re-glassed, faired and gelled. Stainless tanks are great but are they worth the extra price compared to the coating techniques offered today for aluminum.

Marlin275
04-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I called Donzi Marine on this issue and they advised me to cut the liner. My glass guys did a great job and you can't even tell it was ever cut until pointed out directly.

Morgan's Cloud
04-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Stainless tanks are great but are they worth the extra price compared to the coating techniques offered today for aluminum.

Phil.... I asked this question a few weeks back when the gas tank subject came up a few times at once and never really got an answer as to the suitability of S/S.
Is it really OK to use ? I know that somewhere not too long ago I read that the Coast Guard does not certify S/S for fuel tank use ...

Seeing that I am on the verge of starting the build on the fwd tank for the old girl very soon (and it is completely inaccessible when boat is reassembled ) if S/S is suitable it makes sense in this application.

What do you think ?

Steve

transman
04-12-2004, 02:30 PM
I think the Coast Guard had issues with SS tanks. The guy that made my tank would'nt do it. I also steer clear of the touchy fuel tank subject. Looking back it was pretty funny....

tm

Scott Pearson
04-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Do not use stainless steel in a gasoline application. Diesel only! Tank builders and the Coast Guard are 100% against it. Reason being is the static charge on Stainless VS Aluminum.

Also....Do Not cut the liner what ever you do. Lift the deck. You would never be able to repair the liner 100% and it would take more time anyway. I would have less hours and work into lifting a deck then if I cut a liner. And it would be the right way to do it and make the boat keep its value.

(NJ)Scott

Morgan's Cloud
04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
So it seems that despite Stainless Steel's reputation for durability it is'nt suited for fuel tank use :frown:

Back to plan A . Aluminium tank with top secret prep and installation :biggrin:

S

Tidbart
04-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Here is an excellent article on aluminum fuel tanks, why they fail, and how to install them.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

Bob :biggrin: