PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Maint. 101

Boat_Mon
04-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, I know I'm going to be doing quite a bit of towing this year. I would like to re-pack my bearings on the trailer. It may sound like I know what I'm saying but I really have no clue how to do it. Any step by steps out there I can follow? any other suggested maint? Only a single axle trailer with surge brakes.

Thanks

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 10:47 PM
well lets see... i've had my hands covered in wheel bearing grease a time or two...

1. jack up trailer place on jack stands remove tires
2. using a screwdriver and hammer and channel locks remove the grease caps from the hubs WITHOUT damaging them.
3. remove cotter pin, castle nut and washer
4. remove front bearing
5. pull off hub
6. if you take your time you can remove rear grease seal without damaging it
7. remove rear bearing once seal is removed... the rear bearing might stay on the spindle along with the grease seal on occasion.. just slide it off..
8. wash all parts THOROUGHLY...
9. Dry all parts thoroughly... you can blow out the bearings with compressed air but don't let them free spin when doing it... try to get all of the old grease out.. scrub scrub scrub in solvent...
10. inspect bearings and races for pitting, damage, etc to races, rollers and cages...
11. get a good wheel bearing grease... the penzoil is the best i've found these days for stiffness and retention in the bearings
12. unless you know how to pack by hand get a wheel bearing packer... it simplifies the process...
12a - otherwise.. put a mound of grease on your palm.. take the back of the bearing cage and take a thin slice of the grease... keep doing this until grease comes out the front side of the cage... do this all of the way around the bearing.. 360 degrees. do both bearings
13. place rear bearing in hub and install grease seal
14. slide hub on spindle and seat
15. replace front bearing
16. place washer on and castle nut.
17 tighten nut until hub will not rotate.. do not overtighten. this will seat the bearings in the races.
18. back castle nut off a bit at a time until hub spins freely but has no slop ro play... line up nearest castle nut opening with cotter pin hole...
19. place NEW cotter pin in hole... bend over end of spindle
20. replace grease cap
21 replace tire...

you are packed...

bearing buddies are helpful so you can put fresh grease in without disassembly throughout the year.. water is the devil... it will infiltrate the hub cause well ti is a boat trailer... it needs to be driven out from time to time...

Boat_Mon
04-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Awsome,

You just outlined my Sunday!

:wavey:

Thanks!